• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate opens whole moving

JCrew7384

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
my wife told me this happened today, so I can't say for certain what was going on. But today she said she put bags into the trunk and pushed the bottom to close it. It closed. She knows it was closed because she sat in the car for a few minutes before driving off and it didn't reopen. Then she started driving. As she approached an intersection a few minutes away, slowing down, but not stopped, she said the trunk started to open. She did not press the button on the dash or double tap the keys. Anyone experience this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I read someone else complain about that on an explorer recently but I don't know if it was moving at the time. I wouldn't think it was possible with how the lock out works on a power liftgate.

follow on question - did she notice if there was another car behind her at the time? did it beep as it opened?

my wife told me this happened today, so I can't say for certain what was going on. But today she said she put bags into the trunk and pushed the bottom to close it. It closed. She knows it was closed because she sat in the car for a few minutes before driving off and it didn't reopen. Then she started driving. As she approached an intersection a few minutes away, slowing down, but not stopped, she said the trunk started to open. She did not press the button on the dash or double tap the keys. Anyone experience this???
The power liftgate should only be operational when the vehicle is in 'Park'. It is possible I guess that the 'gate' closed but didn't lock. On previous model years there was a way to reset the liftgate but the 2016 doesn't seem to have that. If it happens again I would definitely have the dealer check it out.

Peter

define reset because you can set the stop height of the gate by holding the button while moving it to position.

or do you mean reset the closing?

define reset because you can set the stop height of the gate by holding the button while moving it to position.

or do you mean reset the closing?
Resetting the Power Liftgate
The liftgate may not operate properly and you may need to reset it if any
of these conditions occur:
• A low voltage or dead battery
• A disconnected battery
• You manually close the liftgate and leave it ajar (unlatched)
To reset the power liftgate:
1. Disconnect the battery for 20 seconds then, reconnect the battery.
2. Manually close and fully latch the liftgate.
3. Power open the liftgate by using the transmitter or the instrument
panel control button.

I think I read someone else complain about that on an explorer recently but I don't know if it was moving at the time. I wouldn't think it was possible with how the lock out works on a power liftgate.

follow on question - did she notice if there was another car behind her at the time? did it beep as it opened?
No beep and no other car...

so my liftgate when in motion - beeps in the car. the entire travel. and the beeps appear to come from the car speakers.

so I wonder if 1 it didn't latch all the way and 2 a bump jarred it open such that the air strut opened the door. IE it wasn't on power drive mode and it wasn't an unintended power operation.

However - if it wasn't fully latched it should have shown up in the door synoptic on startup as been "Un Latched or OPEN"

Back