• Register Today It's free!

Lifting an AWD

Goka10

Reaction score
City, State
Poway, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
I have talked to a few local off road companies and one of them told me that it is very hard to lift an all wheel drive explorer. I was also told that by putting on a suspension lift that there will be a contiuous vibration while driving. When asking about putting on a spindle lift i was told that it couldnt be done. Is there any truth to this? I have a body lift on it now but want to go bigger and the only way he told me is if i added a leaf in the back and tightened the torsion bars in the front.

I haven't heard that you'd have any problems if it's done right. Here's what they say about the (I think) Trailmaster lift for our trucks (only problem is the $1700):

96-01 Ford Explorer and 2001 Explorer Sport Trac4WD
Lift kit Main Features:
Retains factory ride quality, steering geometry and CV axle angles.
New nodular iron knuckles, not ball joint spacers.
Load bearing bracketry made of 0.1875" thick steel.
Longer Front anti-sway bar links maintain factory bar geometry.
Full-width differential/ control arm crossmenbers provide lateral rigidity.
Front and rear Superide shocks with yellow boots.
Rear lift via replacement Superide leaf springs.
Optional front skid plate protects steering components and differential.
Heavy-duty replacement front driveshaft available.
Limited lifetime warranty.

BTW, I just ordered the 3" body lift for mine, if you installed yours did you come across any problems I should know about? Thanks!

Nope, that's talking about the newly released Superlift 4" lift kit for the 96-01 Explorers. There are 2 members (that I know of) that are in the process of getting this lift on their trucks.

Trailmaster does make a 4" lift kit for 98-01 Explorers. There are a couple of people around the boards with this lift. Ray Lobato has a modified Ranger Trailmaster lift and he has issues with his steering. I'll bet the Superlift is a better quality lift.

One thing about the new models...when you do a full blown suspension lift, you WILL need a get a new front driveshaft, which is not usually cheap. And neither are the lifts for IFS suspensions either.

I'd suggest a search on Superlift, since this topic has been discussed recently.

Try here:
Dead Link Removed

and here:
Dead Link Removed

Back