• Register Today It's free!

Lightbar help needed

First4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Monetta, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 ford explorer xls 4x4
Just purchased a 06 explorer xls 4x4 and I want to put a lightbar in the slot under the grill. Has anyone done it if so post pictures. The problem I'm having is most lightbars have the bracket close to the front and the lightbar would sit in the slot and not flush with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's some updated pics of my 06 X
It's got a fairly new set of 265/70/r16 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, a 30" LED bar that I installed myself, new black headlight housings, and a cheap Pioneer head unit that has USB and AUX capabilities. I've also debadged the rear, and added a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. This thing sounds extra mean!!! I'm planning on adding the leveling kit and some other small goodies here and there in the near future. (Keep in mind I'm still in High School so my budget is limited :( )

IMG_0864_zps48olqyvv.jpg

IMG_0860_zps3srwjxyj.jpg

IMG_0906_zpspkqulbvf.jpg

IMG_0717_zpspab9nx50.jpg

IMG_0712_zpsq6jx55jv.jpg

IMG_0702_zpsgabq8l4v.jpg

I would say this member is a good start on the info you are looking for...

Mine is mounted in such a manner that the legs that you mount to the lightbar interact with the welded tabs on the bumper bar. I had to clip just a little bit off those welded tabs to make room for the light. The light sits back as there is no way to mount it forward without it rubbing the grille. I cut the center bar out of the lower valance and painted the chrome there in a flat black paint to reduce un wanted glare.

Exactly the same as you see in the pics above. Works just fine, plenty of light.

Thank you guys for your quick replies I will continue with the recessed mounting then.

I would say this member is a good start on the info you are looking for...

Hey that's me! Basically what I did (with 0 prior knowledge) is take off the bumper, then tap drilled 2 evenly spaced holes in the bumper reinforcement (while it is unbolted and off) where I put the brackets. I had to tear off the 2 rubber/ whatever material it is flaps that are down there to make it fit. From there it is as simple as running the wires however you choose. What i did to get it through the firewall was drill a hole in the metal next to where the rubber boot where the steering runs through. Drilling underneath the dash was definitely the hardest and time consuming part. After that I put a rubber grommet (as to not rip the wires) in the hole and fed the wires up to where I installed my switch. Here's some pics. Sadly, I don't have pics of the process, but it was extremely straight forward. It couldn't have taken me more than 3 hours. So if I could do that at 17 years old by myself(shout out to my dad for the tools though), I'm sure you can do it with ease. :salute:

IMG_3063_zpsv1qvadtg.jpg

IMG_3065_zpstm9jxnza.jpg

IMG_3051_zpswtj2vleo.jpg

IMG_3055_zpsscsawimw.jpg

Don't drill holes for my 2 light bars and for my amp stuff I snaked the wires through the boot that's already in the firewall , as far as the light bar goes for in the grill , just open the hood you'll see how to take the grill off , then I mounted my feet to the top of the frame, be prepared to use a good drill as well as a nice ass metal bit,

739058EA-AA2B-4A73-9114-6759A2552A6A_zpsef9pecyj.jpg

As far as switch placement goes I'll show you a better spot to mount the switches if you'd like them off the already cluttered front panel

Any brand light bars yall recommend for a decent price? Also I want to do a overhead lightbar but I cant make myself drill holes haha

I use any brand with Cree LEDs below are links from my 2 light bars , brackets aren't too bad but be prepared to curse like no tomorrow… you could also pay a shop to put it on but it'd be cheaper to buy the drill and bits so you can do more light bars or items you want

unless you compete or drive crazy fast desert races or use this light like 90% of the time just get a nice cheepie off ebay...... only a few people can really use the full potential of something like a rigid industries... my 22" only cost me $40 and I rarely use it... but I needed something to fill out that space on my bullbar and I really wanted a zombie lights switch

I honestly got my LED bar off of eBay for $50 and the switch and harness for $25. It still works just as well as the day I got it around last May. This is after many hours on after countless midnight beach trips (on for hours) and trips down back roads at night. I've had no problems with any moisture getting inside or dirt/mud. My thought process is that if it didn't work it would still look cool, but it still works flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Honestly buying a harness is a bit of a waste though , between wire and a switch it should be $10 but I guess the harness is good for those who are beginners at wiring

my zombie lights switch was $15 and all the other things needed i had on hand.... wires, connectors and the relay.... I bought a bulk pack of wire awhile back from skyhighcaraudio that came with 100' each of blue,yellow,red and black in 18awg for $20.... been using this wire for everything for over a year and still got tons to go through.... relays are free if you walk junkyards from time to time... I take mine out of 2nd gen explorers, I still have a full coffee can of them! a 5 pole relay can do anything you can imagine and the rest is done with 2 relays

What did you used to mount the windshield light bar? What brand and what truck model?
Don't drill holes for my 2 light bars and for my amp stuff I snaked the wires through the boot that's already in the firewall , as far as the light bar goes for in the grill , just open the hood you'll see how to take the grill off , then I mounted my feet to the top of the frame, be prepared to use a good drill as well as a nice ass metal bit,

739058EA-AA2B-4A73-9114-6759A2552A6A_zpsef9pecyj.jpg

As far as switch placement goes I'll show you a better spot to mount the switches if you'd like them off the already cluttered front panel

What did you used to mount the windshield light bar? What brand and what truck model?
I used 02-03 Cherokee mounts and tweaked them a bit, but I heard of people using 05-09 f150 mounts so you can try them instead, just go on eBay and find ones that fit your price range

unless you compete or drive crazy fast desert races or use this light like 90% of the time just get a nice cheepie off ebay...... only a few people can really use the full potential of something like a rigid industries... my 22" only cost me $40 and I rarely use it... but I needed something to fill out that space on my bullbar and I really wanted a zombie lights switch

Do you have a picture of the bull bar with the light bar? Ive been thinking about doing this in my bull bar. I was trying to sell an extra brand new Westin Ultimate bar for super cheap but no one wanted it. So I might ditch my old bar and install the new one, and was thinking about adding a light bar instead of my 6" KC style lights.

Justin

Back