lights on bumper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lights on bumper

Hi you all!
I was just wondering if any of you have mounted lights directly on your bumper(newer model) without having to drill holes in it?
I have noticed there is two holes on the backside of the bumper on my '96, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of brackets or something to use to connect a set of lights to those. I would really like to avoid drilling holes in the bumper, and I can't afford a lightbar right now, so if anyone know a smart solution, please let me know!!

Thanx
:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got a 91 but i got a total of 4 holes on my front bumper, they were big so i jsut got creative with some bolts and large washers, we mounted a set of driving lights on my freinds 95 and i know we didnt drill any holes but cant remember exactly how we mounted them, i think we just used some waasheres to mount em

your sig says you got a "euro"xlt, does that mean your steering wheel is on the right side?

Here's what I did to mount my PIAA fog lights: I made 2 brackets out of 1"x1/4" flat stock. They then bolt between the frame and bumper on the inner bumper bolts. I also made 2 spacers out of the same material to use on the outer bumper bolts.

Dead Link Removed

(these are not exact measurements)

Originally posted by Jefe
...then bolt between the frame and bumper on the inner bumper bolts. I also made 2 spacers out of the same material to use on the outer bumper bolts.

Hey! this would be exactly what I'm looking for(I think).. Is it strong enough so the litghts are stabile and don't vibrate?
by '1"x1/4"flat stock' you mean a metalplate that's 1" wide and 1/4" thick right? In that case I just need to find someone with some kind of cool tools to be able to bend it..
Did you have to take the whole bumper off to mount it?(guess you did, since you put it between the bumper and the frame...)
By the way, love your truck!! :D :D Wish I could afford doing all that lifting stuff to mine.. Guess I have to be satisfyed with the 2" tt&a-a-l. Just a guick question regarding your lift though. Did you just get 0.5" from the Pro-Comp add-a-leaf? Is that the exp-13120 one from www.Summitracing.com? I'm just wondering, 'cause they say you'll get 1.5-2.5, or are there different ones?

Originally posted by tac0meat
your sig says you got a "euro"xlt, does that mean your steering wheel is on the right side?

Hehe:)
Nope, they have a spesial version of the XLT that they explort to Europe(or actually I've heard that they put it together in Germany, but I'm not sure). I'm not quite sure what the differenses are, but if you click on the link in my sig, you can see a picture of it. Not a very good one, but I'll be putting out more soon.
It's got a limited slip, trailer tow package(not the one you have, but a version mounted underneath the rearbumper, so that's it for my departureangle), fenderflares, and some minor differences in the lighing I think.
The english version is even more modified and has the steeringwheel on the righthand side, since they drive on the "wrong" side of the road. I actually think they rebuild the whole inside of them, they even move the gearshifter down between the seats(on the auto) like whats more common here.

Thanx.

Originally posted by NedFlanders

Hey! this would be exactly what I'm looking for(I think).. Is it strong enough so the litghts are stabile and don't vibrate?
They do shake a bit when your running a dirt road at 40. . .but not too bad.

by '1"x1/4"flat stock' you mean a metalplate that's 1" wide and 1/4" thick right? In that case I just need to find someone with some kind of cool tools to be able to bend it..
yes, got it at Home Depot. 1"x1/4"x24 or 36 or 48" etc.
I happen to have access to a vice, torch, and hammer and it went easy.

Did you have to take the whole bumper off to mount it?(guess you did, since you put it between the bumper and the frame...)
yup

By the way, love your truck!! :D :D Wish I could afford doing all that lifting stuff to mine..
I too wish I could afford it. :)

Guess I have to be satisfyed with the 2" tt&a-a-l. Just a guick question regarding your lift though. Did you just get 0.5" from the Pro-Comp add-a-leaf? Is that the exp-13120 one from www.Summitracing.com? I'm just wondering, 'cause they say you'll get 1.5-2.5, or are there different ones?
I think that's it. its only 30" long or something so I don't see how you could get more than .75" (which is what I got when I first put it on)
The Rancho add-a-leaf will give you 1.5-2.5". It's almost the full length of the leaf pack

Back