Best way to install FOG and/or Drivers Lights on Bumper, First Gen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to install FOG and/or Drivers Lights on Bumper, First Gen

What is the best way to mount 4 lights, 2 amber FOG and 2 clear for driving lights on the upper part of the bumper on a first gen explorer 1993 is what i have.

Any ideas for a bracket, or should i just drill and mount them, but i don't like holes in my bumper, so any ideas for bracket design?

I may drill holes if it is the easiest way, but i don't want a rusty bumper in a year or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's them. I'll try to get some pics tonight, I'll post them tomorrow as I don't get off work till 2:30 am. Gotta warn you, my camera doesn't like taking pics of lights, but I'll do my best.

Thks, just try to get a shot of the lights DISTANCE from within the truck, well stand by the trucks door and take a pictures of the distance of the beams.

So i cna see how bright they are and how long they go in distance on ground.

I will appreciate it so much.

Thks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

post it note for size comparison. when i tested them, they seemed pretty bright.
1054jg1.jpg

this is the area i was thinking about mounting them in:
viiqux.jpg

you can have them free if you want. i'll have to look around for the wiring, but it shouldn't be to hard if i can't find it, run a power and ground, and a relay on it and you'll be good. i should have the mounting brackets around here somewhere to. if you're interested just let me know, i just request some money for shipping.

blacksheep josh

Thks for the offer, but i want to buy locally as if there was abything wrong with the lights or if i did not like them i could return them for a different style and i am looking for a blue lens style right now.

blacksheep josh

Thks for the offer, but i want to buy locally as if there was abything wrong with the lights or if i did not like them i could return them for a different style and i am looking for a blue lens style right now.

no problem, just thought i'd throw it out there. guess i get to put them in mine!!

Thks, just try to get a shot of the lights DISTANCE from within the truck, well stand by the trucks door and take a pictures of the distance of the beams.

So i cna see how bright they are and how long they go in distance on ground.

I will appreciate it so much.

Thks

Sigh...I love it when my camera batts die at the right time:mad:...I'll get those pics for you tonight

Ok thks dude.

MadExplorer, here's your pics!

Keep in mind that mine are mounted beside the license plate (see below). If yours are mounted higher the light will probably travel further. All pics were taken from the driver's seat

DSCN03380001.JPG

This is just the driving lights

DSCN03430001.JPG

This is driving lights with low beams

DSCN03440001.JPG

This is driving lights with high beams

DSCN03450001.JPG

Hope that helps. If you buy the fog lights, let me know how they are. I might get some for highway use.

I truely thank you for the pictures as it really helps me decide now what to buy.

Wow that is bright for sure just the lights alone blow away my low beam distance. The older Explorers suck for low beam distance once the headlight plastic starts to diminish over time.

I may still get the square ones which are blue leans and 55w as well, i may not get them for sometime yet as something has come up now and i need to spend money of it before i do the lights.

Something like this would mean no extra holes in the bar:
10fc_1_b.jpg

69f9_1.jpg

Here's a few on Ebay Australia - you'd need to search eBay US for a local equivalent
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Unibar-Drivi...ryZ42613QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hansa-Univer...ryZ42613QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It sure would, but i have no idea how to make one as i am not paying $139.98CDN plus shipping and insurance for it as that $69.99 is Australian Pounds which the Aussie Pound is double what the CDN dollar is worth.

So anyone have an idea how this will mount on a First Gen Explorer and how to make such an item?

That second one is COOL, but again to much money, i may see how that one is made now.

Heres is a good picture of it.

9bf5_12.jpg

All a person would need to do is get some nice aluminum or plate and make the L shape and mount that to licence plate holes and then mount lights on top of it.

I truely thank you for the pictures as it really helps me decide now what to buy.

Hey no problem...they are bright, I could basically use them as headlights if they were aimed right. As for the light bar, maybe a cheaper (and easier?) alternative would be something like the bracket found here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83401

I don't know if the 1st Gen bumpers mount the same, but you might be able to adapt thatidea to fit yours.

Yeah i was looking at that thread when it was made and i never got around to looking to see if it will bolt up to bumper on first gen like that.

I must look and see now that you reminded me as it is a cheaper way to hook up the lights.

Yes those lights you have are bright enough to use for headlights if needed to do so for a temp reason.

Thks

Mad93

Back