Limited Slip or Open Rear Diff

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
Ok the code for my rear diff is limited slip.. But. I have spider gears and thats it in the carrier.. anyone have a pic of the clutch packs or whatever is in the limited slip carriers so i know for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Limited Slip still has spider gears, its just that it has a set of clutches behind the two horizontal spider gears - the preload spring provides the friction to push these plates against the carrier.

M-4204-F288.jpg

traction-lok.gif

your way better at google than i am. no fair.

The Limited Slip still has spider gears, its just that it has a set of clutches behind the two horizontal spider gears - the preload spring provides the friction to push these plates against the carrier.

M-4204-F288.jpg

traction-lok.gif

So, the limited slip and open look different outside? Or how do we tell the difference?

The main visual difference between the open and limited slip carrier are the two notches on both sides of the center section where the limited slip's clutches sit in or catch. The picture below is an open carrier - no notches on the sides.

88_opencarrier.jpg

Do certain models come with this diff. or what?

Yes some explorers came with a limited slip where as the rest came with open differential. Unfortunately this isnt dependant on the model (XLS, XLT, Edie Bauer, etc...). The easiest way to tell if you have a limited slip is to look at the "axle code" on the sticker on the driver's door. If it has a "D", then its a limited slip.

Having said that however, I did once run into a first general Explorer in a local junk yard with a "D" code but yet an open differential.

Mine has a code D4 under Axle, so it is a limited slip?

Sweet, what is the difference?

This article should give you a good idea of what the limited slip is about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Slip_Differential

Although, in the article, this statement is misleading:

"allows for some difference in rotational velocity of the output shafts, but does not allow the difference in speed to increase beyond a preset amount".

In Ford's implementation of the limited slip differential, the unit does not really limit the difference in speed between the output shafts -- there is actually no limit .. and the unit's clutches will eventually give in or let go allowing all the power to go to one wheel while the other stays still.

odd thing is i have an open diff also... my code is D4. prehaps it was changed before. who knows.

odd thing is i have an open diff also... my code is D4. prehaps it was changed before. who knows.
Yeah I mentioned that in reply #7 -- its strange.

Then what stops ya from putting in something like a aussie into a trac-lok carrier housing??

Then what stops ya from putting in something like a aussie into a trac-lok carrier housing??
The reason you can't do that is because the two carriers are different -- the limited slip has more room inside of it for the clutch pack. The Aussie Locker unit is designed for the open differential which is internally narrower.

Back