Limited Slip or Transfer Case issues? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip or Transfer Case issues?

Ok, I dont want to swipe a thread, but drhill got his fixed and im still trying to figure it out it relates. I dropped my front driveshaft and i still continue to get this problem after i run it for awhile and it warms up. Is it possible its the rear diff packs then?

if the front driveshaft is gone that Viscous is doing nothing, no way for it to cause binding. . . if you have rear clutch packs (whats the door code?), yes.
Did you change the fluid back there and added LSD additive (i'd use the ford kind at this point)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Door code is D4, and that was the first thing i did was change to the new fluid with the additive in it. Should i add my own too?

If it is clutch packs in your limited slip differential (D4 is 3:73 ratio LSD), they would "chatter" especially when going around corners from a stop. The chattering would get worse as the rear heated up, and once warmed up all the way, the chatter could happen when starting off from a stop or just accelerating when driving slowly.
Since you have your front driveshaft out and the problem persists, I am pretty sure that the problem is with the clutch packs. That would require tearing into the differential, removing the carrier and replacing the friction plates and the "steels".

That seems to be the m o right on the button! Im a lil above fair, when it comes to mechanics, can I do that job?

Below, I have posted 2 links, both of which have a "How-To". The first link has an excellent narrative and when coupled with the second (which has alot of pics) show how to rebuild/regear a Limited Slip Differential. Keep in mind that these are not the same type of axle assembly that you have under your truck, but the process will be very similar. You may or may not need to perform everything within the articles, but will get a very good idea of what is involved.
When you get the carrier out (that houses the clutch pack and the ring gear), it would definitively be a good idea to check all your bearings, races and spider gears for excessive wear or pitting. Replace as necessary.
(Thanks to the Mustang forum)

Scroll down to post #6.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/118464-how-rebuild-your-8-8-rear-end.html
The second link is actually contained in the first post of the above thread at the Mustang forum, but here it is anyway:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...action_lok_differential_rebuild/photo_04.html

There are those that would suggest installing some type of locker instead of rebuilding your differential, that is up to you to decide. I do not know if there is one available for your type of rear axle or not.

Good Luck

awesome read, good pics of the insides, but if it where me it would scare me into going to the stealership, picking up an overpiced bottle of OEM LSD fluid and tossing that in there. I'd cross my fingers but i wouldn't hold my breath. .

Back