Limp Home Mode...I guess??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limp Home Mode...I guess???

4wdrequired

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Ford Bronco 2 2.9efi
I bought a project vehicle awhile back....87 bronco 2.. It got hot once blew lower radiator hose and the lift pump/tank was going bad. Thats where the troubles began, and they havent ended yet. I checked the lift pump verified it was bad applied 12V removed no action/ new one tested 5.0/5.0 installed this didnt fix the problem as it left me on the side of the road. Since then i have got a EGR closed code blocked it off replaced fuel line, fuel pressure regulator high pressure pump lift pump wired pass the comp installed two relays 40amp with new harnesses 12 gauge wire each on on circuit wired in through ignition. took off the inertia switch removed the fuel pump relay. new belts hoses radiator water pump installed 180 degree thermostat . it runs good for about 15 minutes or so gets hot though temp sensor shows normal, and it wont start well run very far till next morning. oh yeh new battery alternator grounds to engine body and chassis and pos side. only code is the EGR code im puzzled... and frustrated wonder if its going to a limp home mode?? any suggestions

Fuel Pump Relay and Inertia Switch bypass

I checked my codes which i had before the only one left is 87 primary fuel pump circuit failure. Im not sure if anyone else has ever bypassed this system before and got a limp home mode..drove it till it died and then it fired right up the next morning. The fuel tank is immaculate new fuel filters new fuel pumps (lift and high pressure) disconnected fuel pump relay disconnected inertia switch didnt seem to matter either way on driveability. I did get an EGR code but i made a block off plate disconnected vacuum to solenoid as well and re routed vacuum lines. I guess i should say when i bypassed the fuel pump i left the wiring harness for good reason i soldered all connections put each pump on own circuit 12 gauge wire. I clipped the hot and the ground wire but i left the other 2 wires alone as i figured they worked together sending the voltage resistance to the gauge to tell me how much fuel i have in the tank. Yes the ignition module was replaced and the guy before me did it as well as i noticed the aftermarket one looked just like mine I did put the grease on it to like recommended. Any help would be appreciated, Im trying to decide if its a good time to go ahead with 302 project and if i do i would like to use my new fuel pumps seeing i put 200 plus dollars in them. Any suggestions on the 302 of choice and TBI ?? and how bout a 95 mustang 5 speed borg warner t-5 any problems with that year. sorry multiple questions feel free to address any and all. Thanks for your imput, I like Jeeps but they aint so cheap this seems an easier one to Mod and get what i want.

Back