FEAR30X

Reaction score
City, State
NEW JERSEY
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
hello everyone,
i have 25 yrs + of knowledge of cars, trucks, racecars etc. minus memory loss

my problem begins here: 1993 Explorer 4x4 xlt 4.0 v6 multipoint fi.

having idling issue
when it chooses most times its in cold weather erratic idle 2mins after starting, drove it 80 plus miles last night it ran like it should pretty great,
then this am started up fine ran 2 mins then back to erratic idling ,loads up (as if its over choked) (checklight comes on until engine starts running fine)
Gives no codes,

Explorer uses about 4 to 5 gallons of gas in 80-90 mile str8 run (lastnight)

It's Daily driven 18-22miles

also this issue starts 2 days after putting gas in it,which left me putting drygas in it

Any Input is very welcome

basic's were changed/tested
plugs, wires,pvc,
no vac leak,
no clogged fuel filter,

Next to test : EGR valve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pressure regulator

F pressure within specs, tested when running fine and running bad,
tested upto 3000rpm

have you cleaned/replaced the fuel injectors anytime in the past? How about the Coil? Is it within spec for resistance?

scanner/ tests 100% & within specs,

this whole thing is like a virus becus 1 thing being bad can cause multiple problems in the system

check your fuel tank vent, try running it with the cap loose/off after you fill up, and see if you have the same issue. if not, check/clean the vent, maybe even replace the fuel cap. they do go bad.

check your fuel tank vent, try running it with the cap loose/off after you fill up, and see if you have the same issue. if not, check/clean the vent, maybe even replace the fuel cap. they do go bad.
already done this, the issue is still there

ps: Thanks to
Everyone for input

If everything else checks out, could the PCM be intermittently firing the injectors incorrecly? Could be the reason for no codes. The PCM is messed up and can't diagnose itself? Bad ground maybe?

Back