Locker For 8.8, Opinions Please

MeanMachine

Reaction score
City, State
Millersville PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
Hey,
I've had an '97 8.8 in the rear of my TJ for a while now. I'm reageraing to 4.88 in about a month and looking over what lockers I could get. I'm running 35" muds, but probably 37's by the end of the summer. I'm confident that the 8.8 has the strenght to support these tires. Anyways, what lockers do you recommend? I'd like either an arb, detroit or ox, but the ox won't be out in time.
I haved searched the forums and found that 1. The place i have install the locker/gears may need to do some grinding on the geras because the locker won't fit? correct?
and 2. The arb has had many problems with the first genration. Is the second generations the one that they send out now?
Also, I don't want to go with a lunchbox locker because in my research, I found the carrier to be the weak point of the 8.8, and pushing 37 inch tires, the last thing i need is for the carrier to break.So if you guys could just give me some opinions on whats vest for me, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Josh Althouse

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what kind of locker you want. If you want something that you control, definatley get an ARB. I have yet to hear one break in an 8.8. But if you want something automatic, then I reccomend a powertrax. I really like them and plan on getting one.

ARB is hard to beat.... I love mine.

Tractech is coming out with an electronic (magnetic I believe) for the 8.8, but I'm not sure when it is due out. It seems like it might be a good design. They are certainly a reputable company. I'm sure the cost will be competitive with the ARB.

If you want a limited slip go with torsen.

I also love my 2nd generation ARB, but I also added a Granatelli rear diff cover/support to keep the axle housing from flexing and possibly dammaging the gears.
With a Detroit or an ARB, you can't really go wrong

Highly Recommend ARB locker!

One word of caution though on the 8.8 ARB. We have the 2nd generation unit as well. If you have the 8.8 with a serious angle such as yours may be tilted for the driveline angle too (soa), you may have to vent the axle on the passenger side as well. Or you can drill the top of the case but "BE CAREFUL" where you drill there. When the 8.8 is tilted on our Explorer it stops venting to the case from the drivers side because the vent through to the case is then submerged! We found this out upon teardown after trying to figure out why in the heck our compressor was purging gear oil at the solenoid port! upon disengaging of the locker. (Case pressure!)
Tech support on this came from Bob Kennedy www.2BigBroncos.org Northwest chapter who we are also are a member of. If you have any questions reguarding this he can explain the situation that worked for us. Bob did email ARB to let them know of the fix for this unique problem. I do highly recommend a 2nd generation ARB locker, If you do know of someone complaining about gear oil coming out of the compressor during discharge let them know about this. The product is great in our book!

if i where you i would get the detroit locker with 31 spline mooser axles with the ford rear girdle that says SVT on it. i would also have my axle tubes welded up inside the carrier and out side. this will increase the strength by a lot.

Back