Locker! Front or Rear?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. So I'm gonna get a locker and I just read that if I put one if front I won't notice till it's in 4wheel drive. Is this true. I don't know how to set up a poll but if some does that would be cool. So do you get the front locker or the rear and NO you can't say both. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just get the front one.... but dont use it if you are turning tightly or if you dont need it...otherwise you may end up blowing ujoints or axles or.......

Jim your saying get a ARB in front or what would you reccomend. ARB is so dam expensive. Does OX make one for our Dana 35?

Some will say front, some will say rear.

I had front and rear lockers on my Bronco II, but that was a super short wheelbase and turnin was a breeze anyhow. In my Explorer, I've stretched the wheelbase to 120" with Detroits front and rear and solid axles, but I am also running full hydraulic steering, so turning for me with the locker isn't a problem at all.

If it will be seeing a lot of street miles, convert to manual hubs and throw it up front. Then when you need to turn sharp or pull to one side, just unlock a hub.

Turning sharp in a rig with a front locker isn't as bad as many people say it is. Usually because they've never had a locker in the front of their truck, just heard someone somewhere say it.

You can go to full lock, just don't be on the go-pedal much.

Most people I know that want the best of both worlds (on and off-road) go ARB front and rear, but those are expensive. So your next best step is a front locker (with manual hubs) and a rear limited slip.

If it will see a lot of off-road miles, I'd put it in the rear. The rear axle is a lot stronger than the front and you will probably never break anything.

So it's a toss up with what the vehicle will be used for most.

The OX locker is more expensive than the ARB.

What most people fail to realize is that the OX locker requires a custom diff cover to work. Since the beam is the diff cover for the TTB D35, you will never see an OX locker offered for that axle.

i agree with what cory has said...... i have talked to him in hte chatroom and seen his post on here..... he is a smart guy with one insane explorer.....

One thing I hate abuot ARBs front and rear is the damn compressor. Very loud!!! On a trail you'll hear me turning the front locker on and off several times. With a weak ass front axle I don't try to turn too much with the locker turned on. I have snapped the u-joints on the axle shafts many times trying to.

Back