locker or weld the front differential??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

locker or weld the front differential???

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
what are the advantages of installing a locker, like the Detroit EZ locker, over welding the front differential?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as far as turning goes, i dont know how well welding the front diff would go over...i would get a locker, just so you would be able to turn...i would stay away from the ez locker though...i had one installed and it was crap, it popped every 5 seconds during normal straight driving...that made it undrivable...others have had good results with it but the local offroad shop refuses to install them now based on my experience and a couple of others...i have a powertrax now and love it...i think you would like it better than welding the gears...

Get manual hubs and weld away. (thats if your on a budget) But a locker would really be better.

under what conditions does the locker lock and unlock. I have manual hubs but turning is kind of important. I currently have the rear welded and am not crazy about the front acting like the rear does when I'm turning. A buddy told me the locker behaves the same as a welded differential but I was under the impression it doesn't. In other words, it unlocks to make turning easier.

Rob

You WILL NOT be able to turn very well at all. You WILL be jumping in and out of the vehicle engaging and disengaging your hubs.

I remember following (dam what's his name??) a member in Moab. He built his rig up pretty nice and he was in and out of the vehicle all day long. When he got home he pulled it out.

Do it right and buy a selectable locker for the front. I love my ARB in the front pig.

locker engages when there is power and disengages when there isn't. I would also say it depends on the type of wheeling your doing. Mud i don't think it would be too bad to weld...but if rocks and tight trails wouldn't be great if you have to get out and unlock a hub.

locker engages when there is power and disengages when there isn't. I would also say it depends on the type of wheeling your doing. Mud i don't think it would be too bad to weld...but if rocks and tight trails wouldn't be great if you have to get out and unlock a hub.

my rig is not a daily driver. I trailer it to the sites. Usually, I'm riding on twisty trails with lots of climbs and decents, and very little mud. The welded rear is not a problem but I would prefer to use a locker in the front if it would unlock when shifting the transfer case back to 2WD. If it won't, I'll save the money and weld the crap out of it.

Rob

Back