Locker questions ... I know nothing and want to know something | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locker questions ... I know nothing and want to know something

WellsLaw

Reaction score
is anyone interested in explaining to me the following things:

1. If I am correct, a limted slip differential allows each wheel (on an axle) to spin at its own pace -- but limits wheel spin more than our differentials do now??? And a LOCKER locks both wheel to get totally equal power.

2. Assuming the above is correct: can you run your rear differential LOCKED all the time even on the road. I assume that b/c the front wheels turn you could NOT do that in the front, but what about the back.

3. Do airlockers allow you to engage and disengage the locker at will?? do they make air lockers for the front and rear or only front or what.

any information and any additional information would be great and helpful as I am truly interested so I can get into and BACK OUT OF the mud down here in Florida.

I searched and found this thread -- if you want to point me to one that answers these basic quaetions I would appreicate that as well.

thanks

bobby

p.s. and one last thing -- is the '97 4x4 sport limited slip or open differential in the front/rear??? is an open differential when one tire only spins ... limited slip "limits" that, lockers eliminate slip altogether ??? right???

p.p.s by the way i have the control trac 4wd 9but that only tranfsers power to he front automatically from what i understand)

IN SHORT, WHAT IS STOCK (WHAT DO I HAVE NOW) AND WHAT SHOULD/CAN I GET FOR THE FRONT AND REAR ... I THINK I WOULD LIKE (AFTER A LOT OF READING HERE) A LOCKER IN THE REAR AND A L/S IN THE FRONT .... ???????? PLEASE ADVISE, RECOMMEND, ETC ... ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ON THIS PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $0.02 ... THANKS

[Edited by WellsLaw on 02-02-2001 at 02:32 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and i have read all i can find in the threads ...

Try this out...

Q. If I am correct, a limted slip differential allows each wheel (on an axle) to spin at its own pace -- but limits wheel spin more than our differentials do now??? And a LOCKER locks both wheel to get totally equal power.

A. Yes!

Q. Assuming the above is correct: can you run your rear differential LOCKED all the time even on the road. I assume that b/c the front wheels turn you could NOT do that in the front, but what about the back.

A. Both wheels are locked all of the time. It does cause some tricky situations on the wet streets but you learn to live with it because of what you gain in the woods.

Q. Do airlockers allow you to engage and disengage the locker at will?? do they make air lockers for the front and rear or only front or what.

A. They make them for both the front and the rear. I have one on the front…

Q. IN SHORT, WHAT IS STOCK (WHAT DO I HAVE NOW) AND WHAT SHOULD/CAN I GET FOR THE FRONT AND REAR ... I THINK I
WOULD LIKE (AFTER A LOT OF READING HERE) A LOCKER IN THE REAR AND A L/S IN THE FRONT .... ???????? PLEASE ADVISE, RECOMMEND, ETC ... ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ON THIS PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $0.02 ... THANKS __________________

A. Everyone has their own way way of thinking. I like the idea of the air locker or controllable locker in the front because it allows you to use just the standard one wheel in front and you can use it on wet roads. Also it help to use only one wheel sometimes in the woods.

Hope this is of help.

Originally posted by Sandy
Try this out...

Q. If I am correct, a limted slip differential allows each wheel (on an axle) to spin at its own pace -- but limits wheel spin more than our differentials do now??? And a LOCKER locks both wheel to get totally equal power.

A. Yes!
(true)

Q. Assuming the above is correct: can you run your rear differential LOCKED all the time even on the road. I assume that b/c the front wheels turn you could NOT do that in the front, but what about the back.

A. Both wheels are locked all of the time. It does cause some tricky situations on the wet streets but you learn to live with it because of what you gain in the woods.

(NOT exactly! It is only locked when you are on the gas. Or in turns when the torque from the driveshaft is greater than the outside wheel.)

Q. Do airlockers allow you to engage and disengage the locker at will?? do they make air lockers for the front and rear or only front or what.

A. They make them for both the front and the rear. I have one on the front…

Q. IN SHORT, WHAT IS STOCK (WHAT DO I HAVE NOW) AND WHAT SHOULD/CAN I GET FOR THE FRONT AND REAR ... I THINK I
WOULD LIKE (AFTER A LOT OF READING HERE) A LOCKER IN THE REAR AND A L/S IN THE FRONT .... ???????? PLEASE ADVISE, RECOMMEND, ETC ... ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ON THIS PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $0.02 ... THANKS __________________

A. Everyone has their own way way of thinking. I like the idea of the air locker or controllable locker in the front because it allows you to use just the standard one wheel in front and you can use it on wet roads. Also it help to use only one wheel sometimes in the woods.

Hope this is of help.

Hix,
As you can see I mentioned that lockers are tricky on the street.
Actually both wheels are locked together in a straight line and when power is applied when going around corners. The corner thing is the tricky part...
When cornering a Detriot Locker will differenticate unless you apply power then they will lock.

Back