Locker will it help a 2WD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locker will it help a 2WD?

Mike Moyer

Reaction score
Will a locker help the traction of my 2WD? I now have the 3:73 but it is limeted slip. How will a locker help, and how hard are they to install? Thanks

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you take if off-road and don't drive on ice it would help. We have a full size Van (Ford e-150) with a 9" rear. I installed a lockright locker it made all the difference in the world. It is amazing where I can get the van (especially since I don't care about body damage).

From what I've read from other people on this site installing a no-slip or lockright should only take a few hours to do with basic tools.

If you drive in Snowy/Icy conditions I would not use a locker. A limited slip is a better bet for that.. An Auburn(sp?) limited slip is a very tight limited slip, almost to the point of being a locker but behaves much nicer on ice and doesn't wear your tires as fast as a locker would.

Here's a few pics of what a 2 wheel drive vehicle can do with a locker. In my opinion, if you want to take it off-road and don't drive on ice.. Get the locker.. it is great to have.

climb1.jpg

off-road1.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply! As for driving on snow....I live in Colorado Springs. The snow we have is minimal in the winter, but when we do get snow we get it. As for off roading..I only go off road to get to a trail head when I go mountain biking. How much of a dif will this really make? And will it be worth the money?

Mike

I don't have much personal experience in snow with the locker in the van.. (We live in Tucson, Az).. The few times I've taken it up mount lemon in the snow has been interesting.. It worked great in the snow.. but on ice it was interesting.. especially if I wasn't going in a straight line. When the locker locked/unlocked it would get slightly squirly.

From what I've read from people on this site.. Get a Limited Slip since you get to drive in the snow/ice.. A good Limited slip will make a big difference.. Since your not really going wheeling but want to keep it so you can get down the trail a little the limited slip should be plenty. One other thing that would help is to make a rear sway bar disconnect (or just disconnect it) when you get to the trail head. If you can keep both tires on the ground you won't "need" the traction aiding device.. The Reason you want a traction aiding device (locker etc) is so that when 1 wheel looses traction that you still keep moving. With the open diff when 1 wheel looses traction you stop moving..

Auburn

i have an auburn and am very impressed in how it does on the trail. I'm 2wd too. You can get the auburn pro, but since the auburns are spring loaded, so the pro will wear out alo quicker. Tom on this site had his pro wear out in about a year. I've heard this from the place i bought my gears and locker. Some of the 4wd drive guys down here have been farely impressed with the auburn. the regular auburn would be about your best bet.

How much does this Auburn locker cost? And what are the other makers. Is this something that is easy to install or do I need to take it to a shop? Thanks for the help.

Mike

I have wheeled the hell out of my 2wd '61 Ford pick up. Running 31" A/T's, Granny 4spd, a locked 4.10 Dana 60-2 and a realy flexy suspension, I was able to go a lot of places people never thought I could, and I did it with ease. I would have never made it several times if it weren't for the rear locker. As far as street use the only time I noticed it is when I got on it in a corner and enguaged the locker and all that would do was cause me to spin the inside tire. If you ues your Eexplorer off-road you can't go wrong with a good locker. As far a installing an Auburn goes, if you don't have any experience installing gears it is proably best to pay a professional to install it for you.

Back