rear end locker | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear end locker

Powertrax No-Slip $375.00

EB2K,
I checked West Coast Differentials, and for the powertrax no-slip for an 8.8, 31 spline l/s 7/8 shaft, they wanted $403.43 plus tax(if you live in CA) and shipping, which would put the total cost in the 440-450 range. I called a couple of other places and found the price to be just about the same everywhere. I was just about to order it when I called one more company in Vegas, National Drivetrain, Inc. The guy there, Shep, quoted to me,$375.00 no tax and free shipping. I took it, should be here hopefully Saturday, but more likely Monday. Should have enough time to put it in before T-haven on the weekend...

SDmike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's actually a very good article there about all pros and cons of LS systems and lockers. Also instructions on how to install a Powertrax No-Slip in an open diff. The way I'm thinking now is that I might just want to dish out a few extra $$$$ and go with a Detroit locker (NoSpin). More money but then again it's the best one on the market. EZ locker might be an option as well. Throw it in, forget it. Cheap too. Powertrax is something I was considering myself for a while. I might do it just to save a few bucks. Is it worth it though? I'll be out there in mud, sand and water quite often so locker is very important to me. Anybody find any better then $430.00 for Powertrax????

Later,

I think I got my powertrax for like 390.00 I will check my reciept. Here in Dallas, Texas.

Re: Powertrax No-Slip $375.00

Originally posted by SDMike
...I was just about to order it when I called one more company in Vegas, National Drivetrain, Inc. The guy there, Shep, quoted to me,$375.00 no tax and free shipping...

That is a GREAT price. I just got off the phone with Shep. Mine should be here next Wednesday!

Another source

I paid $374.95 for mine at National Tire and Wheel - part number 92-0688-3108(8.8 open) delivered. That was a few months ago though- April 2000

1-800-847-3287 - National Tire and Wheel in Wheeling WVA

yeah $374.95 for open diff but what about an LS?

Plus, does anybody have phone number for the place in Vegas????

Later,

[Edited by Andre Hryn on 01-04-2001 at 02:26 PM]

The locker for open diffs are usually about twenty dollars cheaper than the l/s, but we're getting a good deal (gerald and I) by paying the same as SteveVB did for his. I priced it out at bunch of places and this seems to be the best deal...
The phone number to National Drivetrain, Inc is 1-866-657-8307 or 1-888-770-4327
ask for Shep..or their website address is Dead Link Removed

[Edited by SDMike on 01-04-2001 at 02:43 PM]

Andre, theres a national drivetrain in chicago, #800-507-4327, they are probably within 20 miles of you. You'll have to pay tax though since you will be buying in state.

Thanks Kampy. I'll check with them. I was just thinking about what you said in your e-mail. I'll check all the possibilities. I know already how it works, expensive does not mean better.

Later,

[Edited by Andre Hryn on 01-06-2001 at 08:42 AM]

Hi, have you thought about the detroit e-z locker for $284.00 and one to two hours at the very most on install time. i like mine so far and it dose disengage when you take a corner you just barely have to tap the gas to get it to unlock and it engages very quitely and smoothly. i had never even opened up a diff case when i began to install mineand it went very well they come with full instructions. i'm only 17, so you should be able to do it no problem, RIGHT???!!!

Andre--Keep my up to date on what ya do with a locker...I bet you'll have yours in before mine and I wanna keep up to date with gettin a locker in b/c I too have a L/s rear end.
Pete

I know, thanks. I'm in the process of digesting all the info on lockers now. It could still go either way. I'm not doing anything till spring anyway (too damn cold even though I have a heated garage). I'll be changing gears too.

Will see,

Sure thing Pete. This winter-thing is kind of slowing me down. It's even worse since I have two projects on my hands now. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding an air-cooled VW engine for my '65 VW Bus project (yeah, one of those "Hippie Vans man).
I'll keep you up to date.

fox,
i have a l/s rear end, and i think i would have to replace the entire carrier for a detroit. i just want to keep it simpe with a powertrax no'slip. are you saying that your locker locks up when you tap the gas or releases?

EZ-Locker

i read only 1 thread on the ez locker
does anyone else have these and are they decent? i saw an add for front & reap ring and pinions, master install kit and front and rear ez lockers for $900.00 are these any good as this sounds like a good deal from drivetrain warehoure

um

Originally posted by Andre Hryn
There's actually a very good article there about all pros and cons of LS systems and lockers.

Where at? I didnt find anything on the site..I need more info to find what I want ..and what I can pop in an open diff by myself...

actually if you go back to page 1 there it was, a little note about FourWheeler magazine. I think it was a February issue. They had an article on instalation of a PowerTrax No-Slip locker and another article about all pros and cons of lockers, limited slips and what not. Hope this helps.

Hi eb2k, i'm not sure what a l/s dif looks like, is it in the original case? if it is then you can replace the l/s with the locker. i installed mine in about an hour with absoluty no previos experiance, it comes with full instructions and costs about 283.00 from 4wheel holesale parts(4wheelparts.com). the kit just replaces the stock spider gears with a couple of, well it is really hard to explane so you will just have to buy one and see. and the manuel says to slightly exelerate when entering corners and it will unlock. it is true but it will still bind up or bark the tires every-once-in-a-while. i have 33's and it dose not bother me. i do alot of city driving so it's not like your hearing thist from some guy that drives on gravel raods all day i take the congested freways and get off down town so i have put it to the test. and you don't get a real bad jerk when it locks in after a corner, you will hear it some times while in parking lots, but it is a very small price to pay for the trail capability you will gain. your car will be 3 wheel drive instead of 2. i love mine so far and plan on keeping it.nto to mention i was able to do all the trails i couldn't befor because of articulation. If you live near the protland OR area maybe we could get togther and go up to browns camp or jordan creek, well let me know, see ya. any more Q's just yell @ lifted6@juno.com

Back