rear end locker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear end locker

EB2K

Reaction score
i have read about all the posts on this website about lockers and i feel pretty educated on the whole idea. i have now narrowed my choices down to two, arb air locker or powertrax no slip. i was wondering which of these, or any other, would you fellows use in a 2wd which is mostly used for highway driving? i live in mississippi so it never snows, and i just want one for better traction on light trails and such. i dont want it locking up when driving down the road or anything. anyones suggestions are welcome and needed. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Grant,
The only locker that you can turn off and on is the ARB air locker. A good chioce if you have the money. They are not cheap. You will also need to buy a air compressor to go along with it.

thanks ray. i would love to have the ARB. i know it does cost in the $1000+ range for all the necessary equipment. i was wondering if it is worth it. i am about to a senior in high school with a part-time job, so funds are limited. i have seen alot of posts on here about them tearing up and air hoses tearing and other problems. would the powertrax work just as good, just not able to be switched off? i just dont want it to lock up one of my back wheels in a sharp turn like i have heard some lockers do. do you know if the no-slip does this?

also, do you know anything about auburn positraction?

grant

Grant,
The Auburn is a very good Limited slip, much better than the stock Trac-Lok.

EB2K -

All automatic lockers will lock up in a sharp turn, especially when you gas it like you're used to. If you decide on an automatic locker, you'll just have to adjust your driving style a little bit. With the No-Slip, it's not noticeable at all on city streets, unless I'm making a sharp turn or a U-turn and gas it!!!

Ray is right, the only locker that will allow you to turn it on and off is the ARB so you don't lock up your rear on the road. It's the best of both world if you can afford it.

But if you're a high school Sr. and money is not that easy to come by and you really need to have (not just want to have) a locker, then probably a PowerTrax No-Slip or the Detroit Gearless Locker would be best for you. You can save money by doing the installation at home. Several on this board have done the installation themselves and said it wasn't hard at all.

auburn l/s vs. powertrax no-slip vs. detroit gearless

thanks for the advice. does an auburn l/s compare with those other two?

I would go for the Powertrax. Just got it and love it. Just my 2 cents....

kvo and trckmagik give good advice. I think you would be happiest with a "lunchtime" locker, which is a locker that installs in your present differential carrier. They're less expensive and fairly straightforward to install. I've personally never used one, but heard many positive comments regarding them. The Powertrax and Detroit Gearless are the two I would consider, I've heard they work well for most and are fairly seemless in operation.

The ARB air locker is a good choice, but quite a bit more expensive and involved.

I've run an Auburn limited slip in my rig and had good success with it. It provides a high level of traction and is seemless on the street. It is however more expensive than a Powertrax or Gearless to install though, since it replaces the stock carrier, which means that you would have to have your gears reset upon installation, which really requires quite a bit of experience to do it right. Like I said, it's good, but then again, it's not a locker. There will be times when you will overpower the bias of the unit, which means you will get wheelspin. For most mild to moderate situations though, it works well.

I currently have a Detroit locker in the rear of my rig. I love it. It's heavy duty (you'll probably break something else before it breaks). It is expensive though, and it also replaces the stock carrier. In your situation, I don't think this would fit the bill.

Any automatic locker, whether Powertrax, Gearless, Detroit, etc., will lock both wheels together when torque is applied. So anytime your wheels are under power (whenever you step on the gas), both rear wheels will be locked together, whether you are going straight or turning. When power is NOT applied, the device will allow differentiation, meaning both wheels can turn independently of each other. This is useful when you're in a low speed, power off turn, like in a parking lot or such. When power is applied again, both wheels will lock together again. This is the part that many who are inexperienced with lockers don't like. Some lockers can be noisy when they engage, and the vehicle will all of a sudden seem like it wants to go straight, because both wheels are now wanting to turn at the same speed. I've heard that the Powertrax and Gearless have less of these undesireable road manners when they engage. With my Detroit, every once in a while there will be a clunk when the wheels are locking up, and since the vehicle is now trying to go straight, a little wiggle is felt. I'm used to it now, but if you've never felt it before, it can be somewhat unsettling to some. With any locker, the "clunk" does not hurt anything, it's just part of the operation of unit.

The ideal thing for you would be to drive someone's rig that has a locker in it, so you would know what it feels like first hand. I know that might not be possible, so in that case you just have to rely on people that can steer you the right way, just like we're all trying to do now.

I didn't intend to be this long winded, I just wanted to make sure you understand how a locker works and what to expect when you install one.

Good luck!

thanks a lot guys, you have helped a lot. i think i am going to go with the powertrax noslip.

grant

EB2K -

Before you order the No-Slip from Powertrax, find out if you have a limited slip differential or an open differential. Powertrax has different unit for each type of differential. The No-Slip for the LS differential is about $20 more but you don't have to change your carrier or anything else. It comes complete with everything and can be install at home if you're comfortable with the install.

There was a post on here a while back for a mail order place. It was about $100.00 less than what I paid for mine. Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure you will like it.

Detroit EZ-Locker

If money is an issue, you also should have a look at the Detroit EZ-locker. It's probably not as strong as the regular Detroit locker, but I think it should be strong enough for what you are planning to do. In my opinion, it's a very good locker considering the price (about $ 270).

I have one in the rear for about one month now and about 3000 miles. It's still too early for talking about "my experience with the locker", but so far, I'm very happy with it. Except some clickediclickediclick sounds in slow turns, you don't even notice that it is there. Not even on the trail you notice it a lot; you just get a looooot further with a looooot less effort than before!!

is the detriot ez locker similar to the powertrax or is it more of a harsh locker? do you have to replace the carrier with it?

The Detroit EZ locker is the first generation automatic locker, similar to the LockRite from Powertrax. The new design (either the No-Slip or the Gearless) is stronger, eliminates gear noises, and less binding in turns.

I know for sure that the LockRite needs a new carrier if you have a LS differential and since the Detroit EZ was designed by the same person who designed the LockRite, I would assume the same to be true. A new carrier could cost around $100.00.

BTW - The only design difference between the No-Slip and the Gearless is the Gearless has a clutch plate that could wear out with usage.

[Edited by kvo on 12-27-2000 at 11:49 AM]

Grant,

If you have an open diff now, you don't need a new carrier for the EZ-locker. If you have the original Ford limited slip though, you will.

Auburn

Thats what i have and it does most everything that i want to do. I would like a full posi unit, but you have to consider what you do and how often you go offroad.
If you have want more info email me. svtexplorer@aol.com

does a locker like no-slip lock up under very light constant acceleration?

YES

EB2K,
Have you got your locker yet? I'm about to order a Powertrax No-slip. Just wondered if you priced any out. The cheapest I could find was about 430.00 with no tax and free shipping. Find it cheaper anywhere else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SDMike,
i havent got it yet. i think i am going to wait til it gets a little warmer before i do much. i have heard that the noslips are $100 cheaper at west coast differentials or something like that. if you search on this web page you can probably find it.i think it is west coast diff. though. you can probably search for that and find it. when you put it on, tell me how you like it or dont like it. i am still not sure which i am going to get yet, but it will be a while anyway.

there is a good article about no slips in the febuary issue of four wheeler.

[Edited by EB2K on 12-30-2000 at 10:57 PM]

Back