• Register Today It's free!

Locking up my front axle.

Steve796

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgecrest, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl
I haven't seen a forum on it yet, but I wanted to get some responses on what people think about welding the front diff., I figured since I'm gonna be swapping on some manual hubs I was wondering what I should watch out for if a welded my front axle. after doing a c-clip eliminator of course. Has anyone done it? Why wouldn't I do it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i heard one guy say it was the best free mod he ever did to his truck. that's just one opinion though.

keep in mind your front end will ALWAYS be locked and hence, steering will be difficult. and it will be a pain if you drive it on snowy roads in 4wd.

Fortunatly I live in southern california and we only get snow here in ridgecrest maybe once every five years and its no more than 2in.

Even a locker up front really affects you steering when wheeling. Just ask Tbars4 about that. He is/was running a front locker and its always fun when your leading and he's following. He has to make all kinds of 3-9 point turns while going through the twisty trails. A welded diff will be even worse.

~Mark

I have heard of some people doing it the if they need a tight turn they unlock just 1 hub. Keeps them moving, and can make a tighter turn.

I am actually planning on returning the Aussie I bought and welding the spiders in the d35. I will just use the 1 hub trick whenever steering gets to be difficult.

...Just a heads up...

..There's nothin worse than being in a tight spot and not being able to unlock your hubs...

...It's not that simple unless you are going straight and can back up for 10-20 feet...

..Being on an incline/decline, twisted up, with the wheels turned at all or on loose stuff facing a cliff one way or the other is not for the weak at heart...

Btw, I've seen DB1 have a harder time turning in his Ranger than I do with my X..:p:

...Lockers and ice can make for some real interested driving on black ice in the hills too..;)

I have an ARB up front, which is a very solid locker. On hard surfaces, I cannot turn the wheels with the locker engaged. You would get the same problem with the lincoln locker, only not be able to turn it off. It is no fun when you have to turn and I can't get the ARB to disengage, so it would really suck with them welded.

I am actually planning on returning the Aussie I bought and welding the spiders in the d35. I will just use the 1 hub trick whenever steering gets to be difficult.

Bad idea.

My experience is completely the same as BKennedy's. Getting out to unlock a hub every time you come to a turn would get old real fast.

Right on guys... I'm starting to think this isn't as good of an idea now. Deal without it for now and save some $$$ for an ARB and an air system to go with it. Thanks again for the info.

Right on guys... I'm starting to think this isn't as good of an idea now. Deal without it for now and save some $$$ for an ARB and an air system to go with it. Thanks again for the info.

:thumbsup:
My ARB was out of Paul B's rig. He had it at least seven years, and I have had it for longer. Not a single problem, except for a little loose wiring in the switch which was totally my fault.
If I could ever budget for the Dana 44 I got in my shed, I would sell you my ARB, but I have a feeling that is not going to happen for a long time.

My advise to you is to forget all about the TTB setup, junk it and put in a solid axle. I put in enough money in that Dana 35 for two solid axle swaps.

Back