Loganfilm - How did the appointment with the Ford Tech go? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loganfilm - How did the appointment with the Ford Tech go?

Loganfilm, I am very sorry to hear that you’re still having these issues. I made sure the follow up is in place and you will be called today. Please give us a chance to make this right, and don’t hesitate to private message me with any other details that might help.

jrmexplorer, I thank you for your kind words. I want to make sure I do everything I can.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Cory, but I do not want to private message. I want this to be public. I paid real money for a car that does not work. Plain and simple. I know others are going through this and I want it publicly documented as a warning and hopeful solution to me and those that are experiencing this.

The engineer never followed though with the repairs. The car was returned to me after 8 days with the exact same problems. They replaced the Hub and the memory card and yet I'm still getting card read errors....? (along with all of the other problems of locking up, going blank, freezing, etc.)

I have asked for a full software reinstall and nobody will perform this. It's the only logical thing I can think of that nobody has tried. I can't fathom that this isn't at least one remedy that can be performed?? It's what you would do with a computer. How is this any different?

The only real answer I have been getting is that I should wait for new software. Unacceptable. If others are actually able to use their systems with the current software, then logic dictates that mine should work as well. It does not. Not even slightly.

Am I driving a total lemon, or have I just not been awarded the proper diagnostic and repair?

Who can help me? "Elevated" status be damned. I just want this thing to work and I don't have the time to make this car the full time job that it has become.

Please?

I HATE THIS CAR AND THE TIME-SUCK THAT IT HAS BECOME.

I find it unforgiveable that these guys would call LoganFilm without double and triple checking to make sure that the problem was fixed. the engineer should have stuck around and verified the fix.

I think the whole thing sucks, but I have to say loganfilm should have done a little due diligence also. If I were in that situation, I would show up, ask for the service Manager and say "Hop in the passenger seat. Let's make sure this all works." and run through the functions.

If it wasn't perfect, or at least damn close and functional the way I need it to be, I'd hop in the rental Tahoe and say "call me when it's right".

He has EVERY right to have functional NAV, etc. I do think we all need to be patient on a couple little things, but there are a few key features that he can't use that are very important to him.

Just saw I got beat on my reply, and there is something VERY important in this post:

The only real answer I have been getting is that I should wait for new software. Unacceptable. If others are actually able to use their systems with the current software, then logic dictates that mine should work as well. It does not. Not even slightly.

Damn right it should work. Mine is borderline perfect. That tells me if they have to replace the APIM, the screen, the hub connections, whatever it is...they can make this function for you.

I think the whole thing sucks, but I have to say loganfilm should have done a little due diligence also. If I were in that situation, I would show up, ask for the service Manager and say "Hop in the passenger seat. Let's make sure this all works." and run through the functions.

If it wasn't perfect, or at least damn close and functional the way I need it to be, I'd hop in the rental Tahoe and say "call me when it's right".

He has EVERY right to have functional NAV, etc. I do think we all need to be patient on a couple little things, but there are a few key features that he can't use that are very important to him.

This is exactly what I did. I hopped in with the service manager and we discovered that nothing was working. Since they claim they have no other fix for me, I reluctantly drove home in the annoying and offending new car. They are trying to get the engineer back or find some other solution for me, but I am losing hope that this thing will ever be fixed.

I drove to dinner in it last night and nearly put my fist through the screen out of total frustration. I'm going in to see the owner of the dealership shortly. I feel like I work there after all the hours I spend at the dealer over this brand new car.

I think what's odder.. actually very odd, is how some seem to have little issues with the Sync system, and others have a complete nightmare experience. Generally with electronics, especially with this, it's software related so all should be affected teh same way. But my buddies has never really had issues except for stalling once or twice like it hung but that was when he 1st got it, it's not laggy and glitchy like another 11' Explorer I was in.

All had updates... so really weird how that can happen. I can imagine how frustrating it is considering the unit controls almost every function.

That assessment leads me to believe that there are some bad parts out there. Perhaps a faulty processor or RAM? Both would do it. Perhaps bad QC from the Chinese logic parts factory? I dunno. I just know that this thing simply does not work.

I posted an earlier thread asking for video proof that the system could actually work. I was astonished by what I saw in that there are systems out there that actually do work, as you are experiencing. On the current operating system, no less. ?

So, even though I still think it needs a full system software update, perhaps they do need to completely replace the electronics?

Either that, or just replace the car. It's been in the shop for about 35% of my total ownership time and still just does not function.

That assessment leads me to believe that there are some bad parts out there. Perhaps a faulty processor or RAM? Both would do it. Perhaps bad QC from the Chinese logic parts factory? I dunno. I just know that this thing simply does not work.

I posted an earlier thread asking for video proof that the system could actually work. I was astonished by what I saw in that there are systems out there that actually do work, as you are experiencing. On the current operating system, no less. ?

So, even though I still think it needs a full system software update, perhaps they do need to completely replace the electronics?

Either that, or just replace the car. It's been in the shop for about 35% of my total ownership time and still just does not function.

I think you've already had your APIM replaced right? The APIM is actually the computer inside with the processor and memory.

I'm throwing a shot in the dark here, but my guess is there is some sensor in your car (not related to MFT) that is screwing you up. Perhaps its malfunctioning and throwing off MFT. I know MFT talks to other sensors in the car through a CAN bus and perhaps the faulty sensor is overloading the CAN bus making it harder for MFT to control other components and thus causing delays.

I was actually wondering the other day if the differences that people where having depended on whether you had MFT with the Sony system and the MFT with the next level down. And on top of that, different sw versions can make things more confusing. And who know is little things like USBs can differ from batch to batch if they have different sources causing issues.

I have mentioned experiencing only imo light issues with my MFT but I dont have the sony system on my XLT... running 2.8.

Most of the crazy stuff I read involving fuse removals and such seem to be on LTDs with the sonys?

I think what's odder.. actually very odd, is how some seem to have little issues with the Sync system, and others have a complete nightmare experience. Generally with electronics, especially with this, it's software related so all should be affected the same way. But my buddies has never really had issues except for stalling once or twice like it hung but that was when he 1st got it, it's not laggy and glitchy like another 11' Explorer I was in.

All had updates... so really weird how that can happen. I can imagine how frustrating it is considering the unit controls almost every function.

This is exactly what I did. I hopped in with the service manager and we discovered that nothing was working. Since they claim they have no other fix for me, I reluctantly drove home in the annoying and offending new car. They are trying to get the engineer back or find some other solution for me, but I am losing hope that this thing will ever be fixed.

My apologies if I missed that before. I either missed that or was the first to ask.

You are far nicer than me. I simply would have not driven off in the car with that explanation. There is no reason they can't fix this by at minimum replacing the key modules. If I were in your shoes, I would have told them the only way I was driving off was if they immediately placed an identical order and were going to swap it out upon arrival. They would never do it, but it might entice them to try harder to fix yours.

Have you considered a different dealer?

Uggh. I like the dealer. It's 3 blocks from my home and I've been going there for over 12 years for service. The service guys are great and that's why I've been fairly even keeled there. If I didn't know them, I'd be a lot more venomous.

No, they have not replaced my APIM. The engineer deemed that it was working correctly. My faith in this engineer isn't really high, but the guys at the shop revere him. I've never had the chance to speak to him or meet him. I have to work at times to pay for this thing, and can't always spend my days in the shop, though I have quite a few... sigh.

Uggh. I like the dealer. It's 3 blocks from my home and I've been going there for over 12 years for service. The service guys are great and that's why I've been fairly even keeled there. If I didn't know them, I'd be a lot more venomous.

No, they have not replaced my APIM. The engineer deemed that it was working correctly. My faith in this engineer isn't really high, but the guys at the shop revere him. I've never had the chance to speak to him or meet him. I have to work at times to pay for this thing, and can't always spend my days in the shop, though I have quite a few... sigh.

HOLY BUCKETS BATMAN! THEY HAVEN'T REPLACED THE APIM??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thats like option 3 in MFT problem resolution. Option 1 - pull fuse 29. Option 2 - pull battery cable. Option 3 replace APIM.

The APIM is the "Brains" in the MFT. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sync

Going back to the dealer in 7 minutes.

Demanding new APIM.

I really appreciate all of the commiserating and suggestions here.

I have a LTD with the sony system, NAV, the works. I had extreme issues when I first got the vehicle, and within a week of ownership, had to have the APIM module replaced. After that got done, boom! most of the problems were solved. Now I can't say the system isn't without it's numerous numerous bugs: the voice system is messed up most of the time, my steering wheel hang up button isn't responsive, I've had 'ipod disconnected' popups on the screen that wouldn't go away until i turned the car on and off (actually had to do it on the side of I-65 during a long trip), bluetooth stereo not working unless I turn off the wifi on my iphone 4, the list goes on and on. It's for the most part useable though after the APIM module got replaced. They clearly cut corners on the software end of this MFT system and it needs to be remedied.

Version 3.0 needs to come out and completely revamp the system for me to gain trust back in Ford. I was the biggest proponent of the system, saw it at CES two years in a row, saw the system when the EX got launched in Detroit last summer in Royal Oak, those were clearly engineering builds though with much faster processors than production. The software needs to be streamlined to better use the processor it's got. OR add a more powerful APIM module to the system as a recall part.

Also...where is the sync applink???? It's being announced for EVERY vehicle other than the EX? This was one of the reasons I bought the car over a benz, infiniti, or audi. It's nowhere to be found. MFT is a ton of promises and then a bait and switch once you really find out how it works and what features are actually there.

I've been reading this forum and the FB page since Dec when I ordered my 11. I had to change my order to a 12 model due to a deployment and after reading this I'm not sure I should buy it at all.

Some cars, no matter the make, are just lemons. The most important thing in my book is how Ford supports you in this. They don't want the car returned as a lemon because they can't resell it by law if I'm not mistaken. A kid that worked for my bought a new Cobra back in 02 and had continual overheating issues. After several months Ford offered to buy it back from him because then they can resell it.

I'm sure Ford has some contractual agreement with MicroSoft but I firmly believe Apple could do a better job designing the processor for this. If I keeping reading about major MFT issues that don't get resolved I'll take my business and 50k elsewhere.

I highly suggest Ford get on the ball and post an official statement about these issues and what they are doing to fix new models and take care of existing customers.

donm527, I’ve heard an update will be coming out soon for the MFT system. I’ll keep an eye out for a more exact date and I’ll post when more info is available.

Loganfilm, please keep us updated with what happens at the dealer.

Cory

yeah, they better get on the ball... sw update and maybe a memory module to give it a little more zip ;)

http://www.cnbc.com//id/43511239

donm527, I’ve heard an update will be coming out soon for the MFT system. I’ll keep an eye out for a more exact date and I’ll post when more info is available.

Loganfilm, please keep us updated with what happens at the dealer.

Cory

OK... After talking to the service guys and then a big talk with the Ford Customer Service person that Cory hooked me up with, I finally think something is happening. There was initial balking at replacing my APIM because the engineer didn't find anything wrong with it. After much discussion, there didn't seem to be any other fix to try because a five minute sit-down in the car showing anyone interested that the thing is truly messed up yields confused faces and no other options.

I was told we would have to wait for some kind of approval from some other arm of Ford to.....This is where I stopped everyone and said that I don't care. I look up and I see FORD. I want FORD to fix this. I don't care how you get to that conclusion internally, I just want it done. Well.. I got another call a little while ago from customer service and yes, they are approving the new APIM. No guarantees on when this will be delivered and installed, but yes.. it's happening.

What everyone really wants to do is wait for the new software. I'm not doing that because there is more going on here. I don't know if it's bad logic parts, bad RAM, or what, but the thing is truly messed up. After hearing that replacing the APIM has actually worked on other vehicles, this really seems to be the only thing left. Fingers and toes are crossed. This is now what they're (we're?) going to do.

I have to say that all of the people I've dealt with have been great. It's just a really frustrating process and I know they're all doing their best.

I also don't envy the people at Ford who have to deal with these problems.

What a mess.

P.S. Another entire day devoted to dealing with (brand new) car problems. I work freelance, so if I do this I do not get paid. Who do I send my invoice to....? Good times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loganfilm:

Replacing the APIM.... DID NOT FIX MINE!

:mad:

Hope changing it works better for you than it did for me.

I appreciate you keeping this in the open, so hopefully those of us with these issues can get this resolved.

No amount of "hell raising" at the dealer can get it fixed either. If that alone could get it fixed...... I assure you it would be fixed already.. LOL.

FORD can't fix it.

This was my first and I guarantee LAST Ford vehicle.

Please keep us informed.

Back