My review of the 12 X Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My review of the 12 X Limited

It's been just over a week, about 600 miles and 2.25 tanks of gas (yes that much). At this point I can honestly say I don't know what Motor Trend was smoking each time they reviewed the new X because the whole family loves the car. The ride is quiet. There is enough room for everyone and the stereo is good. All of the features including MFT and NAV have worked 99.9% of the time. We have had two maintenance reboots and the NAV system is slow to load at times but gets us where we need to go. We are eating gas like it's .90 cents a gallon because all of our driving is stop and go. I'm sure when I get it on the highway for a trip it will be better. To put the milage in perspective my 05 Mazda Wagon V6 (Ford engine also) gets 17 mpg in the city and its a much smaller and lighter vehicle which is a testament to the new V6 in the Explorer.

Like I said as of right now we are very happy with the purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We picked ours up Monday - Limited with 302A package.

So far, I am very happy with it. I enjoy driving it (I've driven it about 100 miles so far). I like how it looks and have had no serious problems.

I am someone who uses computers all the time so I'm not thrown by the MFT. I can certainly see how people that I know who are less technologically ...adept could have issues.

I've read a lot of the materials and watched the DVD they gave me and also watched a lot of the Youtube videos. Still, it is a lot to remember so I know there is stuff I still need to learn.

When I picked it up at the dealership (everything else before that by email) and the MFT system came up they took the position that the only problems with it are users not knowing how to use it. They did spend some time going over it with me.

On a positive note, I really like the audio options. I had satellite radio in my prior vehicle but this one is much better. I love the alert function and like how you can change easily between different types of audio.

I like how you can see the navigation turns on the right instrument cluster (by the way when I test drove the vehicle I asked the salesman if you could and he said not it wasn't possible! The dealership had a policy of taking out the navigation cards until the vehicle was purchased so I couldn't test it for myself).

On the left cluster, it is nice to be able to see miles to empty but I wish there was an option to see the speed in digital format. Yes, I know there is an analog speedometer but I would prefer to also have the option to see the speed in digital.

On the one hand, I've had no serious MFT problems. But, there have been some issues, some of which may be me not understanding the details yet.

1. When I got back in yesterday after work and plugged my iPhone into the connector attached to the USB port the system didn't recognize it. I had to unplug everything and plug it back in several times before it did.

2. MFT system seems a little sluggish at times. It is OK, but not as responsive as I would like.

3. The biggest issues have been with voice commands. When I wanted to use voice to switch the temperature I constantly had problems with getting the system to understand the word climate. I tried lots of different ways of saying it but it took about 10 attempts! Way faster to just reach over to middle and manually change the temp.

4. One thing I am confused about. I need to go look it up. When I have the navigation map up and don't intend to set a destination (because I am going somewhere I don't need directions) and then try to use a voice command it won't let me do anything other than set a destination. The system has said, for example, that phone is always active but if I have the map up I can't make a call. I have to switch the screen to something other than the map to be able to use voice commands to do anything other than set a destination.

5. The navigation system seems a little questionable. I was trying to add a destination by voice using intersection and I was very surprised that it couldn't find the location. I was trying to find an intersection with I-10. I tried saying Katy Freeway (what it is locally called), I-10, Interstate 10, Interstate Highway 10 and a couple of other things and it kept saying it couldn't find it. It was recognizing the words just not finding the highway. I can't figure out what it would call it other than one of the above. This is frustrating as this is a major highway.

6. Just for curiosity while I was driving on I-10 to work I tried to add as a destination my saved address for work. I've done that route on my Garmin that I was using in my old vehicle and it has never had problems taking me there. The Explorer navigation system actually wanted me to exist off the freeway and go through a very convoluted and illogical path through residential areas rather than going there on the freeway (no, I didn't have it selected to do shortest distance route). When I didn't exit at the suggested place, it then wanted me to take a right on another residential street. However, I couldn't have done that if I want to as that street was under the freeway. It didn't realize that I couldn't get there from where I was.

Had my first real issue today with the NAV system. Got a fault on startup that required me to shut the car off, pull the SD card then power everything back up to fix. Hope it doesn't start a trend.

Problems starting

Just over 1k miles now and had a major fault with MFT today. parked the truck and when I returned 30 min later the NAV system was still on frozen from the last direction it gave. No buttons worked, no stereo, no climate controls. I was looking on the forums to find which fuse to pull when it finally shut off. when it came back I got a NAV system fault which required me to shut the car off again. Very frustrating.

The NAV system simply refuses to route me on the highway when I set a destination and every time I plug a place I've been before it sends me a different way. Sure it will get you there but its a waste of time and gas. Speaking of which my average is 17.6 of 99% city (stop and go) driving.

Just over 1k miles now and had a major fault with MFT today. parked the truck and when I returned 30 min later the NAV system was still on frozen from the last direction it gave. No buttons worked, no stereo, no climate controls. I was looking on the forums to find which fuse to pull when it finally shut off. when it came back I got a NAV system fault which required me to shut the car off again. Very frustrating.

The NAV system simply refuses to route me on the highway when I set a destination and every time I plug a place I've been before it sends me a different way. Sure it will get you there but its a waste of time and gas. Speaking of which my average is 17.6 of 99% city (stop and go) driving.

Almost sounds like the map in the NAV doesn't know about I-10, and it's wondering why you're driving on this road that doesn't exist! :)

Well it's going on a month and 1500 or so miles since we picked up our X. Besides the NAV being a pain in the butt and a few reboots of MFT we haven't had one issue. The car drives nice and quiet. Today is our first road trip so I'm hoping to see some good fuel numbers. Currently, with all city driving, we are at 17.8 mpg.

As for NAV, I've found it much quicker to use Sync Services to find your locations, then it will beam that to your NAV.

Safe driving!

Figured I'd post a update.

The X has about 2600 miles on it currently including a 8 hour round trip ride to MD for Thanksgiving. During that trip we got almost 21 mpg doing between 70-75 mph using the adaptive cruise almost 100% of the time. I've read you get less milage while using it vice just driving the car yourself but what fun would that be? Average milage around town is just about 18 though the wife tends to have a led foot and drives it most of the time.

The NAV continues to be a pain in the ass giving us weird directions and being VERY slow. Sometimes it's just impossible to enter a address and the voice commands really do suck. Why do I have to say "destination" before every command is beyond me. It's worth about 50% of the price I'd say. Interesting is I have the TelNav app for my Iphone and it works just as good as my Garmin. It's the same company so why can't it work with the Ford? Oh wait, it's a Micorsoft product.

The MFT works 99% of the time but is still slow to react to touch and has completly frozen up on me a few times taking a good 10 min before it decides to work. I've also had the problem of it not shutting off when I get out of the truck. Every time this has happened I've been using the NAV and didn't end the route when I arrived at my destination. I'm sure the problems are connected.

Overall I'm still very happy with the purchase. It does everything I want it to and drives like a towncar. One thing I will say is it's still impossible to juge how far I'm away from something infront of the truck because the hood is so big. Why they didn't include programming to use the sensors on the front to give you a beep like when backing is beyond me.

Thanks for the recap. A quick tip to safely learn the distance of the front of the car is to have someone (taller) stand straight up, and move around the front of the car while you sit in the driver seat. It makes a couple months of learning the limits, taking chances on others peoples cars, and compresses it into about 5 minutes. I have to do it with my wife every new car she's in.

I too am 6'7 and need the thigh support. How much room does the 2nd row seat behind you have?

I too am 6'7 and need the thigh support. How much room does the 2nd row seat behind you have?

Not all that much with the way I have the seat adjusted. My 9 year old fits fine but I move the seat up just a bit to give her more room. When a adult rides behind me it gets a bit tighter but nothing like my Mazda 6.

Well I am sad to report that I do not fit comfortably enough for a 40k purchase.

It would have been ok if the seat was little longer with the distance and height but the 2nd row has literally no room after adjusting and tilting all the way back.

My inseam is about a 37-38 so I think I am just screwed.

I am pretty bummed as I was wanting this to work because of the style and technology.

Back