LOL you guys have to see this!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LOL you guys have to see this!!

The tornado is NOT a venturi. It's a bunch of fins stuffed inside the intake tube and is more restriction than anything else. The way i did it there is nothing in the normal path of air flow (well almost nothing, just a very little on the edges) So In this application I have the benefit of the venturi which if nothing else will get rid of the turbualnce as well as the benefit of causing the air to twist. which IMHO works. Others would disagree.

First I opened up the venturi and drove for a couple weeks and noticed an expected difference.
Then after a couple weeks I installed the fins which is when I really noticed the difference in the 3-5000 rpm range.

So what Joe said about losing a little in the low end and gaining in the high end by opening up that venturi makes sense. But according to his schooling (which I do trust) what doesn't make sense is the power gain with the fins.

I don't know, maybe someday I'll get another venturi and open it up like this one but without the fins and then compare the 2.

FYI, that intake cone is not a venturi either. Here's a decent explanation of a venturi:

http://www.lmnoeng.com/venturi.htm

A venturi is typically used to neck down the fluid flow across an orfice to limit the flow, or to measure the flow. The intake cone in the air box does neither. It simply helps maintain the flow around that bend.

In the Formula SAE car I helped build a couple years ago (which was featured in the October '02 issue of Road and Track) we used four bell-mouth inlets in our intake to establish the flow around that same type of corner. We used a venturi tube near the throttle body to neck down all the air across a 20mm dia. orfice.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics when I get home this evening.

-Joe

Got ya,
so it was a venturi (sort of) and I changed that when I opened it up

Back