LOL you guys have to see this!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LOL you guys have to see this!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that is one of the biggest gimmik on eBay right now...

hahha lamao what a moron....

Looks like either a furnace or hot water tank ventilator, commonly found on natural gas furnaces and hot water tanks..... I somehow doubt it would get anywere near 9000rpm, most of them are rated like 3250 rpm on the side of the motor...

The one i have here is 3450rpm....

If anyone buys that I will laugh my ass off :p

ventor.jpg

If it were that easy we would all be Supercharged allready ! :p

my neighbor who just turned 16 got one for his bday to put on his 4 cyl tacoma

problem is, your engine will intake more air than that fan can supply. So it could have a negative effect on larger engines.

maybe it can work if you actually put a pully on it and run it like a normal supercharger? lol probably turn into a smoking mass of whatever from the heat of it spinning.

I showed this to my buddy who does performance for a living and he just laughed. He also made a great point. When you add more with a supercharger you ALSO add a larger fuel pump to add more gas. An engine is a balance of air and fuel. When you add more air you MUST add more fuel to get any notable performance gain!!!!

Why does ebay allow him to operate like this?!!!!

Not to sound naive or anything, and I would'nt believe double digit increases in HP, But wouldn't this be basically the same effect as ram air except that you wouldn't need to get up to speed?

I've often wondered if something of this nature might actually do something good for the motor. I've just never seen it b4. Your creating a positive air flow. Isn't that even better than an aftermarket intake?

I've seen a couple people mention the Tornado but nobody bashed them even though it has been proven in most applications that it actually robs HP. In theory the Tornado works, but because of it's design it ends up putting a "hairball" in the intake tube. Now if you can make the air spin, which compresses the air, without putting anything inside the tube, then it works. I did this in my PT Cruiser. and it's a difference you can feel.
I just have'nt figured out a way to do it in my mounty.

anyway, the tornado "compresses" the air. That's what this gadget supposedly does.

So now someone tell me speciffically whay this doesn't work. If you have a good explanation based on actual science, not opinion, I'll believe it. That's assuming it actually produces 500 CFM at 8000 rpm. (my dremel runs at 20,000, so it's not all that unbelievable)(plus i work with various types of fans and blowers on a daily basis, some of them put out some serious air and aren't that big.)

tnmk said:
Now if you can make the air spin, which compresses the air, without putting anything inside the tube, then it works.

vortec?

When you accelerate hard, the engine will suck air in much faster that that little pump can provide. The result? Simple, it just becomes an obstruction of normal intake flow. Ram Air setups are more for cooling the intake charge, not speeding up the actual flow of air.

If you check his feedback, it seems like a lot of people had the same problems with that seller. They say he is slow shipping his merchandise, doesn't respond to emails, and it doesn't fit/work the way it should from the ad. You could bet that EBay will do absolutely nothing to him. They love him for all of the business that he is giving them. He pays them for listing his stuff. Why would they care if somebody is getting ripped off? They are only concerned about making money.

I think the throttle body would take the spin out of anything the Tornado can give the airflow.
I do not think a 12VDC motor can push enough air but there are a lot of 120VAC motors that will. I would like to see some dyno results.

Indeed, items like this *may* be able to provide the claimed 2.5 psi with the engine at idle. However, at WOT, 5000 RPM, a 5.0L Mustang is moving at least 441 cubic feet of air per minute. I find it hard to believe that any small 12V centrifugal blower can make that kind of airflow. Most of the small fractional-horsepower 12V motors I've seen run between 1700 and 1800 rpm. Unless he's got some kind of super-exotic unobtanium alloy motor in it (for $30??) I don't see it even existing.

Furthermore, as was already mentioned, at WOT, it's more than likely the unit becomes an obstruction in the airstream, causing a restriction in the intake air. That's never a good thing for power numbers.

Additionally, the Tornado is CONSTANTLY bashed on here. It's been dyno-proven by more than a couple of members on here to HURT Hp numbers. It doesn't COMPRESS the air as you claim. It simply causes turbulence in the air stream, and in fact, since it acts as a restriction in the airstream, causes the LESS air to move through the intake. They've sold millions of them. They sold millions of pet rocks in the 60s too. Doesn't mean they were alive.

Also, anyone that's ever taken a fluid dynamics class as a part of their engineering curriculum knows two basic things about fluid flows. First, anything like the Tornado in the airstream is going to act as a flow restriction. Period. Second, laminar flow is ideal and turbulent flow moves less fluid through the plumbing. If the Tornado generates turbulent airflow in the air intake tract, it's 100% impossible to move more air. Therefore, it's completely impossible to make more power. (as proven on the dynos)

I don't care what the infomercials say. Until I see some sound engineering principles applied, I'm not gonna buy into the concept, let alone fork over my hard-earned cash for a useless POS.

Also, I can't believe he's actually duped more than 700 people into buying that POS. Furthermore, I can't believe that some people truly believe they can feel the power difference.

un-real. Lots of suckers born every day, I guess.

-Joe

Heck the 120volt motors i used to mess around with (cooling a small fort when i was a kid lmao) were 3000rpm. I think i got one at 4500 but i cant find it.

How much CFM must a supercharger produce to be effective? (mustang over 441?, but a simple 4 banger?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, unless you're moving more CFM than the engine can move on its own, you're not going to generate any positive pressures in the manifold. The more pressure you can produce, the greater the airflow through the engine. There is no simple rule for calculating that.

I can guarantee that no 12V electric motor with a squirrel cage is going to produce any significant gains.

-Joe

Back