Long time reader, first time poster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long time reader, first time poster

Aerkusa

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 BII, 1991 Exploder
Hello! I've been reading your extremely helpful forum for a few months now, and finally decided to register.

At 25 years old, I've never done any real mechanical work, other than replacing some bolt on parts or changing oil. Since buying my first car at 16, I've always been frustrated by my lack of knowledge regarding automobiles. I'd had an interest for a long time in acquiring an 'old' automobile I could tinker and learn with.

I own a duplex, and this last winter, one of my tenants, facing some financial difficulty, offered to trade me his BroncoII that had been sitting at his parents' house for 2 years. This was precisely the kind of vehicle I'd been wanting; a substantial supply of inexpensive parts, due to the popularity of Rangers and Explorers in junk yards, plus a relatively simple and spacious design. I agreed, and drove the BroncoII home.

I realized what I'd gotten myself into almost immediately when it burst a brake line on the way home. :-\

Once safely home, I replaced all the brake lines and got the brakes working. I drove it a bit more to get a feel for what I was working with. I also started googling for any information I could soak up about Broncos, and to see what I could do with this thing. That's how I found this forum. I've been reading for months, and I started to get an idea of what I want to do.

A couple weeks ago, I purchased a 1991 Ford Exploder, Eddie Baur edition. I've been stripping the body and external engine components. It is a rust bucket. I want to strip it down completely, treat the chassis, replace or repair all the rust in the body, and then rebuild it back up using the exploder.

I'm primarily interested in a street vehicle to replace my current daily driver, a 2003 Dodge 1500, with better gas mileage and as much utility as I can retain. I hope to use this forum as a knowledgebase, as well as motivation. It's already been an excellent knowledge base, but I figured an account would give me the motivation to keep this project going, as well as enable and of you kind enough to stop me from doing anything stupid!

So here I am! Thanks for what you've done already, and I'm excited for the future! :-D

Glad to have you on the forum. Sounds like you've got quite the project ahead of you:chug:

Thanks, yes, yes I do.

Back