Looking at 97 X 5.0 -- what to look for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at 97 X 5.0 -- what to look for?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
found a 97 X 5.0 awd on CL for a good price and apparently the only thing wrong is an exhaust leak (nice, an excuse for a new exhaust setup :D).

What are some other things to look out for??

I'm going for the trinity, 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen :D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Have you taken it for a test drive yet?? I would listen for any slight grinding... possibly for wheelbearing issues. um... Maybe try and feel if the trans. slips at all when leaving a stop sign or light. Those are just some things that I could think of.. I'm in computer class right now so I can't spend to much time.

"Exhaust leak" probably means you need new manifold gaskets, not a new exhaust system like you're thinking. Listen for a "tick tick tick" at idle (and at operating speeds). Very common with the 5.0. Otherwise, just look for the usual things. The 5.0 is a reliable engine and will last for a long time if properly maintained.

Have you taken it for a test drive yet?? I would listen for any slight grinding... possibly for wheelbearing issues. um... Maybe try and feel if the trans. slips at all when leaving a stop sign or light. Those are just some things that I could think of.. I'm in computer class right now so I can't spend to much time.

I own a third gen, I'm very familiar with trans slippage and wheel bearing issues, ugh. Although since the V8s are 4r70w im not terribly worried about slippage, especially considering im used to the craptastic 5r55w in the mountaineer.

"Exhaust leak" probably means you need new manifold gaskets, not a new exhaust system like you're thinking. Listen for a "tick tick tick" at idle (and at operating speeds). Very common with the 5.0. Otherwise, just look for the usual things. The 5.0 is a reliable engine and will last for a long time if properly maintained.

After doing some very light reading/searching I realized that it probably is the manifold gaskgets. Would the "tick tick tick" be from the manifold gaskets or something else?

Also how hard is installing new manifold gaskets? I know the parts are pretty cheap.

After doing some very light reading/searching I realized that it probably is the manifold gaskgets. Would the "tick tick tick" be from the manifold gaskets or something else?

Also how hard is installing new manifold gaskets? I know the parts are pretty cheap.

Probably the gaskets. Easy if you have mechanical skills (I don't). I had a slight leak when I got my EB and just tightened down the bolts (one was pretty loose). Made the tick go away for the most part, but the leak was apparent when we removed the gaskets to do a header job this summer. Not a bad time to upgrade your gaskets. Lots of choices available.

Probably the gaskets. Easy if you have mechanical skills (I don't). I had a slight leak when I got my EB and just tightened down the bolts (one was pretty loose). Made the tick go away for the most part, but the leak was apparent when we removed the gaskets to do a header job this summer. Not a bad time to upgrade your gaskets. Lots of choices available.

That's not bad at all.

If the only thing wrong with this X is the exhaust leak then i'm gonna get a pretty good deal.

Back