Looking at a 2017 Explorer Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 2017 Explorer Platinum

Dhruv Tandon

Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
NA
I'm in the market for my first three row SUV and am considering getting an Explorer. I have a liking for the vehicle from having rented it frequently (usually the Limited Trim with the I4).

Came across a 2017 Platinum at Carmax which has approximately 50K miles on it. Wanted to understand what the maintenance needs typically look like at 50K,100K etc. I've downloaded the Owners Manual and looked thru it for this information but didn't see much beyond fluid change intervals.

Hoping that the forum can help me make an informed assessment of maintenance items and costs. Does the 3.5 Ecoboost have a chain / belt and what is the replacement interval. Any other expensive jobs that it typically needs?

Do these engines have a drinking habit (oil consumption) and are there any other common issues to watch out for ? Thanks much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This thread should give some ideas. List of Useful Threads - Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List see post 24 in that thread as well.

The Manual shows plugs to be changed at 100k miles but that figures is always a variable. It also shows when filters are to be changed. At 50k I'm guessing the tires may not be the original Hankook Ventus Noble 1 tires, if so, that's good. I had the same vehicle and didn't have any oil consumption issues. The engine has a chain.

Peter

Thank you Peter for the insights - I read through all of the links on post 24 and am aware of the water pump issues (thanks to this forum).

Are folks changing out pumps at 80k / 100k as preventative maintenance or only when the pump starts to weep?

That would be a sort of YES to both situations. A few have been fortunate enough to catch the leak in time while some have performed their own preventive maintenance. Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

I bought my Platinum with 48K, it now has 70K on it. Do you guys recommend changing the pump ASAP as a preventive measure?

If it were me, I'd check to see what a Ford Extended Service Plan would cost vs the cost of changing the pump. Many suggest that as long as you are changing the pump, it would be a good idea to also change the timing chain. If you can get an ESP for around the same cost then you have other items covered as well.
Do you have a 2016 to 2017 Platinum? The thread title and first post mention a 2017 but your profile shows a 2016.

Peter

Just to balance
I have yet to hit the water pump issue at 170k miles
I did have some belt tensioner wearing and causing a weird noise issue
3 rear bearing out in that time

i used to tow a heavy 4k popup with bikes on the roof for a few years and i did not have tow package.

as far mainteance
i change the air filter when dirty
oil change every 10k if i paying someone or if i do it when ever
Transmission Oil change at 150k - i was towing a bit so decided to do it .very simple. actually simpler than a Oil change.
Changed the Plugs at 120-125k miles i remember. i did break one of the tabs but then realized one does not need to remove the electric connectors as explained in the manual to remove plugs.
Mine is 3.5 natural so the whole metal top cover had to come out for the plugs and i changed the small valve in the back for few bucks along with the new gasket.
In the older models the hazard button was a switch that failed. So in that case i changed the console from a salvage unit just now.
3 rear bearings.
Blend door issues. i got the tough one behind the console so it was a bit hard with my big hands.
In the older cars the ac lines failed at the rear evapotor. i have yet to fix it as its like 2k

other than that i still love this car , tows my motorcycle to track days, family when we do not need ac or fire up my tundra.

tires i run a bit of a aggressive tread on my 20 inch chrome rims and i actually like this one more as they have more side wall strength and i can lower the air and take it on mild trails.

have fun . As next year it will close to 200k and probabily worth nothing i am towing with the idea of roof tent ,small lift and go a bit off roading.

Back