Looking at buying an 96 XLT 5.0 AWD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at buying an 96 XLT 5.0 AWD

I dont drive the X too much, I drive my mustang most of the year, like 8 months and the explorer 4 months and use them both as a toy. Drag racing the mustang and light 4 wheeling the X. So the X has like 155,000-160,000mi, I dont know exactly because I had to change the gauge cluster, long story.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taken care of well, more miles than you will go. Other than a timing chain or valve springs wearing, the roller engines can go 2-300k miles easily. FYI, the Explorer 302 is a 240hp engine(under 200rwhp), all other book specs are wrong. Good luck,

According to the explorer specs on this website, its 210. and it feels like 210. At the crank. I feel the torque, and it does feel like more than 275, but these motors feel like they have no top end.

According to the explorer specs on this website, its 210. and it feels like 210. At the crank. I feel the torque, and it does feel like more than 275, but these motors feel like they have no top end.

The crappy stock exhaust manifold's are the main reason for this.

Which i have... And i dont have the p heads either.. But i am saving up for all of them.. Heads, headers. One question, can i just swap out my heads with the p heads? (with either Tm headers or FRPP)

Don't waste time or money swapping GT40's for GT40P's, the difference is so small that there were no changes in horsepower ratings. The P's are slightly better, but not enough to change, to change.

Keep your GT40 flanges, the headers for those will fit dozens of aftermarket heads. If you changed to a GT40P header, you could not ever swap to aftermarket heads, there are none compatible.

These trucks do not make 210hp at the rear wheels, most dyno at 190-200 max. They should make much more than 240 flywheel horsepower, the headers are choking these 302's. They can easily be built to make 300hp, but the headers need to go.

I agree. So which flange are you talking about? The exause ports? or where the headers bolt to the head. (wherer the bolt goes). I was thinking of getting new heads anyway. I want to completly rebuilt the upper end of the motor. I read somewhere that it has bad lifter tick, and i notice it when its really cold.

If you are going to use different heads you need to wait to buy headers. On the GT40 & GT40P heads the bolt holes where the exhuast manifold bolts is higher up than any other head. You will need specific flanges for which heads you decide to use.

Bob at TM can do this with no problem.

The GT40 heads have the universal/traditional Ford Windsor small block flange bolt pattern. Unless an aftermarket head has the ports moved away from stock locations, just about any Windsor head will go on your truck with the headers you have.

The GT40P heads require the special header flange, and pipe locations to clear the moved spark plugs. I would not want to change to an odd ball header issue like that.

I'm planning to buy at least heads for a spare 302 I have, and those will be aftermarket normal style heads. The ports are slightly higher, but the headers will bolt to them and clear the spark plugs. I can work with that, the fitment of the collector etc. I foresee custom headers in my future, Bob will not make a proper high powered header. Regards,

Doh! Sorry about the mis-information on the heads.

It's okay, lots more owners now will be swapping parts, and the heads will be big on the lists soon.

im kinda confused. SO i SHOULD keep the heads, but get headers (i planned on that). But i can also use any head that were used on a windsor motor (cobra geads etc).But if i do that, TM headers wont bolt right in... will they?

I would ask Bob, the maker of those. My only point really was that if you swapped to GT40P heads, then those would be the only heads which you could ever use with the TM headers.

Ask them what other aftermarket heads will work with their GT40 Explorer headers. I would say that any FMS, Twisted Wedge, and the most common/popular heads would be compatible with them.

The "P" heads are a hair better than the regular GT40's in bone stock use. But when you start upgrading them with porting or better valves, or a better head, you have gone beyond the GT40P heads. Regards,

Thanks. That makes it alittle clearer.

Well I'm going tonight to pick it up....the first test will be driving it back about 130 miles so i hope it works good. I think its supposed to get to around -10 tonight so it wouldn't be a good night to putz with vehicles on the side of the road ;). I'll post some pictures of it after i get it back home.

Sweet!! Drive safely!

Well we made it back with no issues so thats good. The explorer is actually a 97 instead of a 96. Are there any differences between the 96 and 97? My wife drove it back and she said the speedometer is reading a lot faster than your actually going...its says like 65 when your going 60. I've always had the opposite happen to trucks when i've put larger tires on them. The tire size is 235/75/r15.

Well we made it back with no issues so thats good. The explorer is actually a 97 instead of a 96. Are there any differences between the 96 and 97? My wife drove it back and she said the speedometer is reading a lot faster than your actually going...its says like 65 when your going 60. I've always had the opposite happen to trucks when i've put larger tires on them. The tire size is 235/75/r15.

If it's a late production '97 it might have the "P" heads. The easy way to tell is by the EGR. If there is a tube coming off the right side exhaust manifold to the EGR valve (external EGR)it has the "P" heads.

If it there is not a tube (internal EGR) you have the non "P" heads.

The "P" heads give you more power.

My speedo was off like yours when I had the stock 235/75/15 tires. Now that I have 31/10.5/15 it is dead on:confused:

Hmmm...strange on the speedo thing.

I just checked the manu date and it says 8-96. I didn't see the tube you were talking about on the exhaust manifold so i assume i have the "P" less heads.

Yea. mine is 8 96 as well. They started with the "p" heads half way through the year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many changes were made during that 97 model year, tons. The best tire diameter for the speedometer is about 30", those 29" 15's are too short.

Back