Looking for a little more power... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a little more power...

Bushw@cker

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Well, I am impressed with what my explorer has transformed into since doing the mods listed below, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could easily do to get more power such as a high flow cat, thermostat, etc. You guys know best. Or is this the end of the road for me in "simple" mods? Of course there are always headers, cam, etc. but I have a feeling those are too much work and money for my lowly 4.0 OHV. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think maybe

Maybe an Explorer Express MAF sensor, That is about the only thing left that you can do looks like without anything drastic like Nitrus or Supercharger. I want your mods on my 2000 4.0 SOHC.

Possibly

New gears. Looks like you have done it all without a V8 or supercharger or Nitrus. Like I said I want your mods, Chip, exhaust, and Intake.

Yeah the difference from stock is incredilble, and I wish I had your SOHC. I would realy like a V8 but oh well. With these mods and your SOHC, it would be pretty quick. Basically my mods got me up to near SOHC level.

Really

What is the Hp on a 4.0 OHV stock? If I am not mistaken I think Ford brags somewhere in the neighborhood of 210 for the 4.0 SOHC. ¿Does that sound right to you? Actually when it comes to racing the stock 4.0 SOHC beats the piss out of the stock 5.0 in the explorers (almost comprable Hp and lighter than the 5.0)

Stock OHV is like 165 HP. I am figuring I am around 195 hopefully, maybe higher with these mods with premium fuel of course. Like I said, near an SOHC but prolly not to it. And yeah, SOHC have like 205-210 HP I believe. And stock V8 vs. stock SOHC V6 I would say SOHC wins for the reaosns you stated. Can't beat the sound of dual exhaust on that 5.0 though.

What is the Hp on a 4.0 OHV stock?
165 hp

Actually when it comes to racing the stock 4.0 SOHC beats the piss out of the stock 5.0 in the explorers (almost comprable Hp and lighter than the 5.0)
are you saying a stock 4.0 sohc is faster than a 5.0? If so your wrong. :D

I thought they were pretty close, but what do I know (seriously I don't know). Isn't the SOHC better upper end then 5.0? Not that means it is faster but just out of curiosity. Think of it as a little off topic. :D

I was told

I was told that they are faster but what do i know

Both are pretty close but i wouldnt say it beats the piss out of the other, i think its prett dang close unelss your racing a 2 dr sohc sport against a 4 dr v8 where again a sport would prolly win since its got a nice weight advantage

stock to stck it would prolly be close but after a few mod's the 302 would leave that little v6 in the dust

What is

What is the Hp of a 5.0 in an Explorer?

215hp, 275 tq and like 218hp and 280 tq in newer ones

Originally posted by Bushw@cker
Stock OHV is like 165 HP. I am figuring I am around 195 hopefully, maybe higher with these mods with premium fuel of course.

With those mods on my 95 v6 I put down 151rwhp. Mas air for the 2nd gens is almost pointless to do. (its not much bigger). You could do headers and a high flow cats but for the cost and the power you get from it its almost not worth it. Your best bet would be to either get a blower or do a 75 shot of juice. If you do the juice make sure you get your chip reburned and throw it on a dyno just to make sure you have enough fuel for it.

At this point either cam, s/c, or nitrous.

Headers or MAS won't give you much.

I know this has been said in this thread before, but I posted just so you'd hear from one of the OHV "big boys" ;)

Originally posted by Alec
At this point either cam, s/c, or nitrous.

Headers or MAS won't give you much.

I know this has been said in this thread before, but I posted just so you'd hear from one of the OHV "big boys" ;)

Lol I was a student of Alec's he taught me well on explorer horsepower :D

Originally posted by Alec
one of the OHV "big boys" ;)

One of the OHV big boys, huh? :p

Just an ego-booster. I need those because of all the ribbing I get from my kraut-car.

:bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They actually make

They actually make headers for the 4.0? ¿Do they make them for the 4.0 SOHC?

Back