Looking for a newer Explorer

Bajarick

Reaction score
City, State
Los Frailes, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
Hi,
I use this forum every time I have a new problem with my 91 Eddie Bauer. So, I have used it a lot! My 91 is really getting tired. I live in Baja, 30 miles of rough dirt to the pavement. NOTHING lasts forever out here, but my Explorer has worked out as well as anything else. I am trying to find out if any of the problems the early models had have been corrected, examples: auto hubs, 4X4 transfer motor/switch/control module, radius arm busings, power window motors, etc. Are the newer models lighter? Thanks for any input!
Rick

After waiting for some replies......I started browsing the newer model threads, probably what I should have done in the first place. Appears that Ford/Mazda has kept up the same quality control I experienced with my 91. Too bad.

Radius arm bushings disappeared in 95. Also the transmissions got better in 95.

I've had nothing but great luck with my '97 and '00 Sports and now my '99 Eddie Bauer. My '99 was scored just over a year ago with just over 30,000 miles on it (42,000 miles now) and it's been the best Explorer I've owned (I also had a '93 Sport but didn't have it long enough to comment on reliability. I sold it to a friend and it was a bit of a dog for him).

I'm stoked that I got a 2nd gen Explorer with so few miles (and with the V8 to boot). I promptly replaced all the fluids with synthetics and I don't drive nearly as much as I used to (I work 5 minutes from home). I hope to have this Explorer for a long time. It's unlikely I'd own a 3rd gen or 4th gen. They just don't appeal to me.

Back