• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a small lift...

hunt4lif3

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
What would be the best way to go for a small lift. I have a 94 sport with 31x10.50's on it. The tires don't rub unless I flex the frame going off road. I'm just looking for enough lift to clear my tires, and the rear end is kinda sagging a bit. Is there any way to just swap out my leaf springs in the rear for a set that would fit without any modification to bring the back up to match the front? And what would be the best way to raise the front a touch without having to mess with brake lines and steering linkage and all that jazz. All i want is to raise it enough in the front to clear the tires when I flex it and enough in the rear to match whatever I come up with in the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2" coil springs
2" coil spring spacers
AAL, or Warrior shackles for the rear
or
2-3" body lift

2" coil springs
2" coil spring spacers
AAL, or Warrior shackles for the rear
or
2-3" body lift

those are all good options. but if youre only looking to level the rear back out and prevent tires from rubbing i would suggest the warrior shackles in the rear and a different offset wheel to bring the tires out a little. are you running the 31s on stock wheels? I ran 31s on a 3.75 backspace wheel with only minimal rubbing of the wheel liner.

I found a kit on ebay for around $100 that has the spacers for the front and an add a leaf for the rear...would the add a leaf be better than shackles or is shackles the way to go? also which would be easier to install? I'm not wanting to do a body lift due the amount of towing I do.

The shackles will be easier to install, but they cause the leaf spring to flatten out faster. The aal are better since theyll help firm up the ride and keep the back more level when towing, but they require takin the leaf pack apart. There is a writeup on the forum though that goes over step by step how to install the aal and has pics if you wanna go that route.
And when you say you dont want a body lift cause you tow, are you using the bumper mounted ball? Cause if your using an actual hitch it bolts to the frame and isnt affected by a body lift, other than it now being lower than the bumper by however many inch lift you installed, but thats just cosmetic

My leaf springs are already getting flat, so i should probably go with the aal kit. is there any alternatives for some tougher springs in the rear, maybe a f150 or something that would fit? if something like that would work would it raise the rear enough to match a 2in spacer in the front?

You can also buy new leaf springs.
http://www.springsnthings.com/

I've used these guys in the past for new leaf springs. You can also get them 2" lifted.

I cant seem to find leaf springs on that website, all I'm seeing is coil springs...

you have to call....The metal prices change daily so the costs of leafs will go up & down.

I think I'm going to go with an aal kit and spacers in the front...I only have 3 leaf springs in the rear the way it sits now, so a 4th one should do me good.

That's how my truck sits now 2in spacers in the front and aal in the rear it was all pretty easy to put on. I bought all my stuff off eBay I think it was top gunz customs

How is the ride and stability after installing the kit from ebay?

The add a leaf rides a little stiffer but its not bothersome or anything and since your just spacing up your stock front springs there is no change it the way the front rides. Just nedd an alignment afterwards.

Do you need to put in a camber kit with the spring spacers?

Back