Looking for hole in firewall of a '05 Explorer XLS to fit a 0 Gauge wire in | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for hole in firewall of a '05 Explorer XLS to fit a 0 Gauge wire in

Mcapps

Reaction score
City, State
Gonzales, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLS
Basically the title. I am looking for a while big enough in the firewall of my '05 Explorer XLS to fit a 0 Gauge wire through, I found one grommet almost in the middle of the firewall on drivers side but does not look like it will fit my 0 gauge. Any one have any ideas so I don't have to drill a hole (headache).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drill baby drill and use an over size grommet

If you are actually running 0ga i would protect it and run it below the truck and drill in the back. 0ga will be a pain in the a$$ to hide under the carpet. In the varrious shops that i have worked at this was the most common way of doing that.

Under the Truck

About running it under the truck, there are already ran wire protectors on each side of the Explorer under the carpet giving it plenty of space to run a 0 gauge to the front of the car (on both sides). So i'm definitely going to run it through that, just looking for any ideas for a whole in the firewall if anyone has a 05 explorer.

I don't know about 05's but I ran my power wire for my amp through a boot/grommet that was directly behind the battery. I just pulled one side of the grommet out and ran the wire between it and the firewall. I really need to go back and cut out a little bit of the grommet so the wire is not rubbing against the firewall.

Probably doesnt help but in my 99 I ran my 0 through the Ebrake release hole grommet. Took some cursing and working and stretching but it fits nice and snug in there. Pops out below the brake booster and I ran the wire pretty much straight to the battery.

And the release still works fine.

I think I used the same hole you said you found, right in the middle on the drivers side, I have two 8 ga wires running through it, I just cut a slit in it big enough to fit them and had plenty of room. just an idea.

Just get a good uni-bit and drill a hole. Find a good grommet to plug it with and you're in business.

w1zrf7.jpg

Just get a good uni-bit and drill a hole. Find a good grommet to plug it with and you're in business.

Exactly what I did, I have 4 runs to the rear this way, and all 4 fit 2 down the side and 2 on each side of the center console

I found a great path for running wires through the firewall on my '02 (same Gen as OP):

This is the view from the engine compartment. The access is behind the brake booster. Look behind the brake booster and down and you will see it.

picture.php

This is the view from inside the Ex. Follow the brake pedal up to the firewall and look to the left. The red arrow points to the piece that you peel back and the black arrow points to the grommet.

picture.php

This should provide you with plenty of room to run wire.

Back