looking for ranger... Please read... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for ranger... Please read...

Mike

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
West Babylon, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT v8 AWD
Hey guy's

Im thinking about getting an older ranger to play around with... my 01 X has allmost 32k on it and i still have another year and a half on my lease.. so i need to put less miles on it.. i have a few questions.. im looking to spend like $500-$1000 for a 88-93 Ranger 5 speed. does that sound about right? now I dont kn ow much about the rangers.. can anyone tell me what i should look for? any known problems with them? Like i said i dont wana spend much but i will work and fix it up is needed.. i figure with the help of this site i can do just about anything and seeing as how its not a truck i would NEED for every day use i could spair working on it... any and all info welcome... and thanks a lot guys..

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well older Rangers are a dime a dozen and you can pick them up cheap. They are really wel made little trucks. We have alot of info at ORR if you want to pop over.

--Sean

what happend? all our ranger guys on this site run away?

no no no they are here.

Rangers are great! You are best off if you get anything 86+ with teh 2.9L EFI V-6 (4.0L OHV's little brother).

Look out for the auto tranny's with high miles.

Also check out the driveshaft carreir bearing if the truck is a extended cab.

The Ranger STX package was a nice upgrade, taller blocks in the back and 2" longer coils I believe.

Cant go wrong with an 86-88 that has been well maintained...teh 86-87 have larger throttle bodies, they are speed density until 90 so the 2.9L will have the dredded TFI module on the back of the distributor. Be careful, if you do buy one you will fall in love with it and likely give up on your 2001 :) just kidding....they are great trucks! easy to mod, very dependapble, and tough as nails!!!

I know of an 88 with more then 300K miles on it, with a couple of clutch's two waterpumps, a starter, and some other little odds and ends.......talk about getting your $$$$'s worth......

They are good little trucks, and I believe 410 is right about the STX, mine is a little higher than the reg. 4x4s, but my front suspension is sagging. I had a B2 with the 2.9, just be careful they don't burn any water or oil, the heads had a tendancy of cracking in some.

I would think about spending a little more if necessary and getting one with the 4.0, D35, and 8.8.

I would have to agrre with RangerX. I have 123k on mine and the only thing I've done is put a clutch in it. Very stout truck.

Back