Looking for Transmission shop in LA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Transmission shop in LA

socalexlorer

Reaction score
My 94 xlt is pushing 100k miles and I am having problems shifting into second gear. I have replaced the vaccume module and the servos w/ no luck. I may be looking at a rebuild$$$. Does anyone have an angle w/ a particular shop in souther california? What about going to the dealer? Domestic transmission shop vs. dealer? Any thoughts?

Thanks-
Rico

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rico-
I've been doing a little research on this since mine may be going out too. From what I've heard, the dealership doesn't actually rebuild trannys, but just sends them out to another shop and slaps you with a dealer-sized bill (often with shotty workmanship). As for finding a good shop, one post suggested finding out where local racers have their trannys rebuilt... not a bad idea. A lot of rebuilders aren't very good at rebuilding properly though, so try to get references first. Hope this helps.
-jm

Rico-
I almost forgot... watch out for Big Bear out there in San Bernardino... that mountian stole my transmission!!!
-jm

When I lived in LA I had 2 transmissions done at Hiro's in Gardena...They did excellent work and stood behind it. It was a few years ago, so I don't know if they;re still around. It's also a long way from San Berdu! Good luck!

JM-
What you heard seems to be right about the dealer. A buddy of mine had a problem w/the transmission on his Ford van- he dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon- He said they had a stack of transmissions to just swap out- Yeah I know Big Bear can be rough on your whole ride- transmission-cooling system-brakes. Right now I can't even go near the mountains w/my transmission in this condition it sucks!
Jeff1-
Actually I am in Long Beach- my folks are out in San Bdno- so Gardena isn't that far- it never hurts to have a lead-
Thanks fellas-
Rico-

What's with these transmissions?? Mine just blew-up AGAIN, after a $2100.00 AAMCO rebuild, only 9000 miles ago. Needless to say, it's out of warranty (over 12 months), and I'm pissed. The '92 Sport is 200+ miles away in Sonora, I'm paying daily for a rental car, amd am looking forward (not) to paying excessive amounts of money and having to make the trip all over again to return the rental, and bring my Exploder back. I love the REST of the truck, though! Good luck to all!
Randy W

Try Mr. Clutch. Lifetime warranty on all work!!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Back