Looking for your opinion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for your opinion

It's a repo, but the carfax looks real good
Regular servicing oil changes even transmission fluid changes.

Regular oil and especially transmission fluid changes is worth a lot. The fact they changed transmission fluid shows me the previous owner(s) were diligent about maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regular oil and especially transmission fluid changes is worth a lot. The fact they changed transmission fluid shows me the previous owner(s) were diligent about maintenance.
But apparently not diligent making payments. It's a repo.

Hello, what do you guys think about a 2005 explorer v6 rwd? I bought one with now 195k miles on it. Have had to put 1k in it but now it is decent. The transmission is way better since i i changed the fluid twice (used Valvoline maxlife atf that got all gunk out of the valvbody so no jerk anymore when i put it into Drive or Reverse. It also whines a bit if i hit 3000 rpm but i try not to go above 2000-2500 rpm, it is probably the transmission pump but the lighter maxlife transmission fluid should help too). The main issue i see is that there is some kind of engine oil dilution (that really concerns me and i i think that i will continue with 5k miles oil changes and that i stay with full synthetic oil. I don't think that the dilution is too bad but it keeps the oil level staple -> delution eqyals oil that geys burned). Is there anything else that i can do to make the engine last longer? And do you think i should put one bottle of "lucas oil stop leak" in the engine after every oil change or is that wasted money?

Oh i i have to mention that about 80% of my trips are less 2-5 miles, so maybe thats the only problem? When i bought the vehicle the seller told me that the engine was replaced at 90k miles but i didn't ask for a receipt/bill nor did i ask if they put a used or new one in (but i believe him that the engine was replace at 90k miles bc i saw no oil change record on the carfax until 90k miles but after that every 5k miles, looks to me that they didn't do oil changes until it blew up at 90k miles).

Well for what it's worth I'm pleased with the purchase of this EB 4.6l. I like it as much as anything I've had before (excluding possibly the BMW'S I've had.

After i picked it up took it straight to an oil change shop to put in 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter. The drive from Atlanta to NC saw me increasingly happy. I do love the v8 and my gas mileage for the trip came out within a$1 of themmpg I got on the 4.0 (18.2 mpg).

The intake manifold on these are plastic and tend to crack after a while . I just did a replacement and it took about 3 days $500 doing it myself.
Also the 8.8 rears are built with really cheap pinion bearings and scream like hell. That was $1500

Back