Looking to buy 1997 Explorer V8 AWD w/ 100k - having 20 year old truck jitters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy 1997 Explorer V8 AWD w/ 100k - having 20 year old truck jitters

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hi:
New Member. Owned the dreaded 2002 V6 for 3 years until it died on me after 3 1/2 years.

Looked through these forums for more reliable Explorers that I could afford and what I found says 1997-2001 V8 models. I'm looking at the vehicle described above but getting the shakes with the thought of buying something 20 years old (so looking for some re-assurance).

Price around $1500. Former municipal vehicle so almost no CarFax history whatsoever.

If I buy what are the first things I should do or have checked out in the vehicle before embarking on 250 mile trips.

thanks,

Einar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Live in NYC so vehicle would be used mainly weekends and mainly for 250 mile (one way) weekend trips. I frequently carry stuff so love the space. I have two 6 ft filing cabinets that have been stuck in PA since my 2002 died. I would do zero off roading but Interstate 80 over the winter has lots of snow and lots of trucks and the AWD will really be useful.

Having brought one back to life after a 7 year nap....

For peace of mind, do plugs and wires and coil packs, add a ground to the coil pack bracket

Cut a hole in floor above fuel tank and drop in a new fuel pump, and filter on frame rail

Get alignment and 4 matching tires.....then just wait for the next 20 year old part to break or get weak

Cheap shocks and you'll enjoy the ride alot more,

If u do all that, trans service, k and n drop in filter to factory air box , clean maf,

I guarantee you will have enough fun to crack your passengers side manifold " if not already", common and a matter of time

I've invested alot into mine and regret nothing, it's a total animal, mine has never let me down,

Ohhhhh and get new cam synchronizer, all off rock auto, All Ford parts, no aftermarket

Now your mint good to go bro!

The 02 is total junk, especially the V6, so forget that.
Good advice in the thread so far..

Probably that and a crown vic (they share the same transmission, and the older ones(pre 92) the same engine) are the best choice in a 20yo vehicle. I know old crown vics/MGM/TCs used to ride around in Brooklyn as cabs for 100s of thousands of miles, with reasonable maintenance. I know because I used to write software to track their repairs and maintenance. They are extremely reliable. Perfect, no. No car is, even one you will drive off a new lot. But if maintained they can run reliably a very long time.

There may be issues with the Front end, but very repairable. Have it checked out.
Change out the belts and pulleys, cheap insurance.

A 97 may have small transmission issues - if it shudders it needs new mercon V, and there is a 1-2 piston that can be cause a delayed shift(very easy fix with a pan drop). Other than that its great if maintained. I also suggest a large trans cooler. A major trans rebuilder in Brooklyn told me he would probably be out of business if everyone had one.

Even if a trans craps out, they are so common and mainstream that the price would be quite reasonable if you shop around.

For peace of mind, do plugs and wires and coil packs, add a ground to the coil pack bracket

Cut a hole in floor above fuel tank and drop in a new fuel pump, and filter on frame rail

Get alignment and 4 matching tires.....then just wait for the next 20 year old part to break or get weak

If u do all that, trans service, k and n drop in filter to factory air box , clean maf,

I guarantee you will have enough fun to crack your passengers side manifold " if not already", common and a matter of time

I've invested alot into mine and regret nothing, it's a total animal, mine has never let me down,

Ohhhhh and get new cam synchronizer, all off rock auto, All Ford parts, no aftermarket

\
Thanks for the reply. Any strong opinion on the oil to use? I've always gone full synthetic. Also I'm poor. Paying child support for 2 and college for one with the second entering college next falll (ex-wife pays part). What will the coil packs cost to have replaced? I don't do my own work. Fuel pump died on my 2002 Explorer right at the entrace to the Brooklyn bridge at midnight bringing my daughter back home from the bus station (yuck!).

The 02 is total junk, especially the V6, so forget that.
Good advice in the thread so far..

Probably that and a crown vic (they share the same transmission, and the older ones(pre 92) the same engine) are the best choice in a 20yo vehicle. I know old crown vics/MGM/TCs used to ride around in Brooklyn as cabs for 100s of thousands of miles, with reasonable maintenance. I know because I used to write software to track their repairs and maintenance. They are extremely reliable. Perfect, no. No car is, even one you will drive off a new lot. But if maintained they can run reliably a very long time.

There may be issues with the Front end, but very repairable. Have it checked out.
Change out the belts and pulleys, cheap insurance.

A 97 may have small transmission issues - if it shudders it needs new mercon V, and there is a 1-2 piston that can be cause a delayed shift(very easy fix with a pan drop). Other than that its great if maintained. I also suggest a large trans cooler. A major trans rebuilder in Brooklyn told me he would probably be out of business if everyone had one.

Even if a trans craps out, they are so common and mainstream that the price would be quite reasonable if you shop around.

I liked my 2002. Bought it with 105k miles at auction. It had been a fire marshall's car. Transmission died within 6 month of purchase so right away I was in for another 2k. Then two months ago the dreaded timing chain gave out and I gave up on the vehicle (because rebuild transmission was occassionally slipping after 3 years). Hope for a better experience when it comes to major issues with the 1997 V8 AWD.

^^^Great starter list for the V8 4R70W.

To OP, you are going to spend a good bit of money having someone else do the work, this list alone will be near $1,500 and even more as your front end ball joints likely will be added to this list when you get an alignment. The kick with these vehicles is when you can do all of the maintenance yourself as it cuts the cost way down to just parts and then you end up with a robust, reliable vehicle.

OK AUCTION ENDED - BOUGHT FROM A MUNICIPALITY 1997 EXPLORER XLT V8 AWD W/100K MILES FOR $870 - YEAH BABY!

I bought my 1999 5.0 AWD in mid 2013. It has now done over 3 years and 60,000miles of trouble free daily driving.
I have had to do maintenance, but nothing end of the world.

Go forth and enjoy!

Seth K. Pyle

OK AUCTION ENDED - BOUGHT FROM A MUNICIPALITY 1997 EXPLORER XLT V8 AWD W/100K MILES FOR $870 - YEAH BABY!
100K on her isn't even broken in.

Change the gear oil....it is due at 100K.

well holding back on celebrating until my mechanic gives it the once over.
I bid based on the fact that the mechanic said he consdiered buying it for his daughter.
To me thats a pretty good recommendation

If I got a chance at a V8 with that low miles that moved and stopped, and the oil wasn't coal black, nor the trans fluid dark/burnt mainly, I'd have bought it without second thought.

So here is something that gave me pause. In the same auction was a 1996 Cherokee with 132k and one passenger door not able to be openned and a similar problem with the rear hatch. This sold before the Explorer and it fniished at $1250 - huh?!?

Also this was an online auction and although I wont the truck at $870 the max bid that I entereed was $1360.

Back