Looking to buy a sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a sport trac

MrCube

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Hey guys, I was wondering what to look out for when buying a used sport trac. I want something between the years 2003 - 2005 because I do not want to deal with a bad timing chains. I'm just wondering how reliable these trucks are, I heard some horror stories about transmission and engine problems but those where from carcomplaints.com so most of the reviews are questionable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drove my first 2005 from 30K to 145K and only replaced the thermostat housing, alternator, front abs sensors, and it went through 2 front right wheel bearings. I towed regularly with it.

When it was totaled I started looking at new trucks but ended up buying a 2003 with 170K because I have a kid in college. This one is 4WD. I see that the 4WD systems requires additional maintenance. This one is on the 2nd transmission. I have a leak in the front differential but the drive train is going strong. I need to do the thermostat housing on this one too. Small leak. I also need to do the bushings the body sits on the frame with to keep it quiet. I have no doubts that I can drive it for 3.5 more years, at which point in time I will upgrade trucks. That was my plan with my old one.

I personally find it to be the right sized truck since I commute 25 miles into a city. It holds my skis so I can go straight to the lake after work. There are newer trucks that get better mileage, though. However, I find most of the new trucks bigger than I need.

So to me the only real con is the gas mileage.

That being said, I know from personal experience that these trucks will take a hell of a collision and despite being totaled, you will walk away with only some body ache from the impact.

I've got a 2001 Sport Trac that I bought on the cheap as a non-runner. I would not have purchased a nice example of this vehicle, because you can count on paying double, or more, over a regular 4-door Explorer, for the luxury of having that plastic min-bed on the back. It turned into quite a project to bring it back to life mainly because the PO was a complete idiot, plus he apparently never did any maintenance on the vehicle in 184,000 miles. (read my thread titled "New Toy" for some of the gory details). I like the utility of the vehicle a lot, but I hate the V6 SOHC engine and flaky transmission. If Ford had chosen to put a V8 in this vehicle it would be just about perfect IMO. IDK that Ford ever really did any thing to increase the reliability of the 4.0L SOHC engine or the 5R55 transmission, so buying a 2005 may not be any improvement over a 2001-2003.

If I am understanding your post you want a first gen sport trac for reliability. Pretty sure the first gen only came with the 4.0L which is prone to timing chain failure.

OK ... they are prone to timing chain failure but between my two they have gone a collective 320,000 miles without this problem, and with no other mechanical problems to the engines. If it fits your needs, it is worth taking a chance on.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm mostly looking for something with low miles like around 100,000 just to drive without any major problems. My friend does have a 2003 sport not a trac but just the two door sport, The only issue it has is the trans but that's because the PO towed with it and went 1000 pounds over the tow limit so it fried something out (od light is blinking). The reason why I want to go with the 2004 - 2005 trucks is because I heard the timing chain cassettes were improved. So its either that or find a 2nd gen with a V8.

There were no performance upgrades to the cassettes. They just made them with a removable pin so they could be taken apart and replaced without having to remove the head. The bad design is still flawed. The transmission is still flawed as well. If your friend has a OD light i bet his servo bore is gone. It happens often because the piston is hardened steel and the sleeve is aluminum. The aluminum wears away and allows the fluid not to build up pressure and you loose OD under load. Hold out for a V8. The transmission is far superior with the 6 speed and there is a negligible difference in fuel economy as well.

That is what I get for telling you mine is reliable. It cut out on my driving today. It immediately started back up then cut out again. I started it and got to a parking lot. It is being towed home as I write this.

I freaken jinxed myself.

Here is hoping it is the alternator or wires, and that I don't have to do the fuel pump.

my buddys focus did this, Turned out to be a mass air flow sensor.

Thanks I will check that out.

Oh yeah, then there are are the foam body mounts that disintegrate.

Man these look like cool trucks to own, Its just really sad to see such bad engineering on these things. I did hear about changing the oil frequently helps alot with the timing chains. The ones I have been looking at are low milage from the dealer. The timing chain and the trannys scare me the most. If I do get one with low miles 2004 + It should last me with me following the maintenance schedule.

Man these look like cool trucks to own, Its just really sad to see such bad engineering on these things. I did hear about changing the oil frequently helps alot with the timing chains. The ones I have been looking at are low milage from the dealer. The timing chain and the trannys scare me the most. If I do get one with low miles 2004 + It should last me with me following the maintenance schedule.

Regular maintenance should make any vehicle go further, but it really doesn't help with the timing chain issues. Maybe driving gently helps, but when buying a used vehicle you can't know how it was driven.

Back