Looking to buy an explorer, need some tips! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy an explorer, need some tips!

Fseries_life

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford F150
Hey all, new to the forum here! Just sold my 2005 Ford F150, family is growing and needing an SUV. I am heavily considering a ford explorer! Found a 2015 in my price range, but with almost 100k miles on it, and has the 2.0 eco. It's very clean, but wanted to get a well rounded opinion, on pros and cons to the higher mileage in this generation. Anything I should be looking out for? Warning signs at this mileage? I've always owned vehicles around 100k miles and never bat an eye but for some reason I am slightly hesitant.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know about that year or generation, but I recently bought a 1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer, with 200k on it, and it runs like a top. (well until just recently but just normal problems at that mileage) If it was well maintained, the Explorer is an awesome vehicle.

Ive never been a ford person, but after this purchase and seeing how well it runs and drives after so many years and miles, when I buy newer I'll be looking at explorers that's for sure.

Hey all, new to the forum here! Just sold my 2005 Ford F150, family is growing and needing an SUV. I am heavily considering a ford explorer! Found a 2015 in my price range, but with almost 100k miles on it, and has the 2.0 eco. It's very clean, but wanted to get a well rounded opinion, on pros and cons to the higher mileage in this generation. Anything I should be looking out for? Warning signs at this mileage? I've always owned vehicles around 100k miles and never bat an eye but for some reason I am slightly hesitant.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I would be concerned about the mileage in that it could affect the water pump which is located within the engine.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine
Some earlier models also had water leak issues.
Water Leak
Check the front lip of the hood.
Hood Paint bubble issue only
Give it a good spirited ride.
Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.
Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust
Check the front door panels where they meet the window.
Door panel issue / separation
Got 2 letters from Ford
There is nothing that I'm aware of specific to the 2015 Explorer. I am a low mileage driver and have not experienced any of the above in the 2011 I had or the current 2017.
Some feel that the 2.0 is a little under powered for the vehicle but you can judge that for your self. You can also just scroll through the threads in the 5th gen. forum to see what else members have posted on. Also, keep in mind that forums like this seem to attract those that have issues with their vehicles while many others have had little or no issues. Good luck.

Peter

Since it has ~100,000 miles It would be beneficial if you have the maintenance records, especially being a direct injection turbo engine. Also records of the ATF fluid changes. I believe the 2.0 EB in the Explorer only came with front wheel drive so you don't have to worry about the troublesome PTU unit in AWD and 4 WD Explorers.

Whimsey

Ford has built many thousands of 2015's. Surely with a little perseverance you can find one with fewer miles. Personally, I can't conceive of buying a three to four year old vehicle with 100,000 miles on it. We're getting ready to trade my wife's 2015 Sport. It has 29,000 miles on it. As they say on the internet...YMMV.

Ford has built many thousands of 2015's. Surely with a little perseverance you can find one with fewer miles. Personally, I can't conceive of buying a three to four year old vehicle with 100,000 miles on it. We're getting ready to trade my wife's 2015 Sport. It has 29,000 miles on it. As they say on the internet...YMMV.

Maybe you and the OP can chat about the possibility of him buying your wife’s Explorer. Sounds like it has great miliage for the year. If this came up when I was looking I know I would inquire.

Back