Looking to buy an Explorer. Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy an Explorer. Questions

SparkSVT

Reaction score
I'm considering buying an explorer. I am looking for an 02-05. My question is there any major issues with the 4.6 explorers or should I look for a 6 cylinder? I have a crown Victoria with a 4.6 and it's been great with 250k on it. Are any years better than others in this year range?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4L engines have a fatal flaw...the cam chain tensioners are on the wrong end of the motor, and they're made of plastic. You have to pull the entire engine and buy a special tool kit to reassemble it correctly. I'm sure the 4.6L has its problems, but I don't own one, so I can't help with that.

The 2002 year explorers have the worst transmission issues of any year Explorer. in fact over, 3,500 complaints were registered.
In fact, the 2002-2005 models have more issues than all other Generations.

Stay away from 02's because not only do they suffer from all the same flaws as the rest of the 3rd gens, but they have their own issues like cracked/cracking rear springs, and bad 4x4 control modules. I would stay away from 4.0's for 2 reasons. 1) They get the same fuel economy, but have less HP and less Torque. 2) As state above, the chain guides are made of plastic and are notorious for failing.

As far as other issues, the transmission is the big one. Make sure to test drive it, and make sure there is no delay, stutter, or hesitation when the transmission shifts, ESPECIALLY when shifting from 2nd into 3rd.

In 2004 Ford switched to throttle by wire. My mom has an 04 Aviator, and I previously owned an 03 and I don't notice any difference. Some people complain of input lag, but I've put probably a solid 10K miles on my mom's Throttle By Wire Aviator and haven't noticed any lag.

In 2005 Ford made the Message Center, and AdvanceTrac standard on all models/trims. I've never drove, or owned a vehicle with AdvanceTrac, so I cannot comment on the merits of having this system versus not, but I've never been in a situation in any of my 2nd or 3rd gens where I would've really benefited from having it. Also in 2005 Ford introduced electronic lumbar support to the driver's seat, and redesigned the back of the center console, moving the cup holders from the fold away tray at the bottom, to molded cup holders on the top of the console, right behind the storage lid, and moved the rear vents down a few inches. I personally am not a fan of this redesign because I know my clumsy elbows would knock into drinks in the cup holders, and then I'd wind up screaming out curse words for spilling stuff on my carpet.

I just took delivery of my second 2003 Mountaineer AWD 4.6L yesterday, if that makes you feel any better. Loved my first one that I had from 08-09, and fell in love all over again with the one I just got.

I purchased an AWD 04 4.6 Mercury Mountaineer Premier about 6 years ago with 130k, it was an "as-is" special and about $4k below private party bluebook (from a ford dealership). Seemed to run good and figured if it needed less than $4k in repairs, I would still be ahead. I just turned 200k miles, it still gets 17 city and 19 hwy, and it has never left me stranded or put me in the poor house, but I did have to deal with some common issues.

Had the chirping and binding problem when turning sharply off the bat, but a fresh set of tires helped a little, then it eventually stopped but so did the power to the rear tires. Had a transmission shop replace the transfer case for $2100 and it has been OK since.

There was a roar in the rear end that was not resolved when I replaced the AT tires, but eventually disappeared after replacing all 4 wheel bearings over the course of 40k miles.

Fixed cracked rear coils with quick struts.

A gradually increasing engine knock at low idle had me worried, but it turned out to be the common exhaust manifold leak. Still have not spent the $1200 to fix it, probably wont.

Developed a misfire around 170k. Had to replace a couple spark plugs. Read some horror stories here about them, so I took it to the shop to be replaced.

I learned that the crack in the rear hatch that almost all Explorers and Mountaineers have is more than cosmetic. The window sagged and cracked the hinges, the lift gate handle assembly got rusted, water rusted out the license plate light, and worst of all, the rear window latch completely corroded and would no longer close properly causing it to drain the battery, prompting more than a few battery charges and jump starts. The only way to properly fix the window latch is to purchase a complete window assembly. I rigged mine up, but can no longer open the window and had to rig the key FOB to keep someone from accidently opening it. A complete lift gate from a junkyard goes for $700 and they are all cracked too. So the stupid little crack that should have been a class action lawsuit can leave you stranded by draining the battery or get you pulled over for no license plate light. I should add that I live in Northern Michigan, so this may not be such a big deal in other climates.

Other common issues that I have experienced include a laggy gas pedal, loss of cruise control and eventual refusal to shift out of park due to a couple of brake light switch failures, nagging TPMS, and the need to maintain matching tires, right down to the tread depth, in order to avoid burning out the transmission or transfer case again.

the 4.6 on these expos and mountys are not built the same as the crown vics and continental. I have a 98 continental and it's night and day difference reliability.

my 02 mounty got that common transmission problem (servo bore), rear spring, ac disintegrating, intake manifold leak and butt-crack. If you're handy you could save a lot since the used ones are dirt cheap currently. don't recommend the 4.0 v6..

Wow, I have an early build 02 and it has had none of those problems. It has 120k miles, I'm second owner since 26k miles. I went to replace the thermostat as routine maintenance and loosening the bolts at 100k apparently broke the intake manifold (plastic), so I replaced it. Otherwise a couple wheel bearings, but still have original tranny (not serviced in any way shape or form), no butt crack, original springs (replaced shocks) -- in fact, no rattles, been absolutely a good vehicle, including dirt roads and snow.

This is what it looks like to re[place the timing chains on the 4.0L V-6. I would stay away from it if I could do it over again. I would definitely go with the 4.6L and maybe even opt for an '06-'10.
13082617_10153833963239221_3663582191583095971_n.jpg

Back