Looking To Buy, What Should I Look For? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking To Buy, What Should I Look For?

NoClub

Reaction score
City, State
Small Town, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Unknown
Hey everyone,

I’m planning on purchasing a 2nd Gen Explored for my Off-Road adventures soon. I wanted to see if there’s anything I should watch out for on the second gens, along the lines of known issues, problematic parts, etc. I’m not looking for anything special, just a basic V6 with 4x4 works for me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a v8

Very hard to find around here in the 4WD setup, and almost 3 times as much as a V6. Plus the V6 engines are everywhere, so worse case scenario I can blow the engine and have it replaced in a week from what I can see lol

Don’t get a SOHC. Don’t bother with anything rusty.

These can be tough trucks, but I would certainly look for a vehicle with current high quality maintenance.

You can spend a lot of time and money trying to catch up to deferred maintenance.

Good luck.

People are paranoid for a reason. Yanking a motor to drop a few hundred into them for a piss poor design isn’t on most people’s wish list.

You can’t tell someone that if they take care of it, it will last. That might be viable if these trucks weren’t already 20 years old. There’s no telling what the previous X amount of owners have done.

Almost everyone on the site who had had these models will tell you they rank V8, OHV, and then SOHC in terms of reliability.

I’m certain if I abused a SOHC the way I beat my 5.0s neither would have made it to 150k.

Ok your correct I am wrong sorry for my opinions never buy under any circumstances buy a shoc

Ok your correct I am wrong sorry for my opinions never buy under any circumstances buy a shoc
Just like I’m entitled to mine. If you truly believed it was good advice you wouldn’t have deleted your recommendation of it.

Just like I’m entitled to mine. If you truly believed it was good advice you wouldn’t have deleted your recommendation of it.
I deleted my post because I don't feel like arguing
This does make me wonder how many shoc engines are out there between the aerostar explorers and rangers mazdas and I think land rover
must be a lot
it's a wonder they work
Like I said I don't want to argue

No need to post on here anymore
Still worth the money tho

If you can't get the v8, 95-96 v6 OHVs are very good trucks. You also have that low gear in the T -case.

Except for the occasional cracked head issue (which is a DIY bolt on repair, or sometimes even K-seal(worked for me, over 10k miles) the engine is very heavy duty. Later OHVs are ok but they have a 5 speed trans(which is a 4 spd trans that shifts twice as much).

I do not suggest an SOHC (like others said) unless you have an engine hoist and like doing that stuff. 20 years down the line don't make things better either.

Not saying the sohc is a great engine but it's not some pos to be avoided at all costs.. There are tons of those engines that never have problems. Buy what you can find. Just be prepared for maintenance & upkeep & maybe replacing an engine down the line.
Your looking at explorers 15-20 years old...no matter what you find now it's going to be a crap shoot for reliability.

The SOHC is a *decent motor*, they do have timing chain issues in old age so bear that in mind, the 5R55Es are also weaker than the 4R70Ws but there's improvements to the 5Rs to make them stout if you find a good trans guy. I've had a disaster SOHC, and a SOHC truck that ended up tough as nails, guy is still driving it and it lived a HARD life. I don't think all SOHCs are bad, I do think in old age the timing chains are to be expected though since the plastic is well worn by now.

I have to recommend a V8 if possible though, I'm driving a 271K one on the factory motor. Did have to do a trans recently though.

Back