looking to modify my "new" new explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking to modify my "new" new explorer

gise1

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
looking to modify my "new" explorer

Hello. first post :D i just got my '02 Explorer Eddie Bauer on Halloween. i love it so much. there have been a few explorers in my family. My mom has a 98 eddie bauer and my dad had a.. i wanna say 94/95 explorer. but anyway, now that i got my own, i wanna modify it :D

i've been looking at different options for air intakes. i'm really leaning towards a K&N Intake cause of the heat shield it provides. All the other intakes i've found for the 4.6 V8 dont have that heat shield. I've always been told that having a plan old cone just sitting in there can take in warm engine air which isnt good performance wise and having that heat shield will block that. so, i'm looking for some opinions on other intakes.

second, i'm looking into upgrading the exhaust system. I'm leaning towards getting the JBA headers. My brother had gotten JBA headers for his 2000 zx2 S/R and he loved so i'm thinking ima get a set of JBA headers for my explorer. but, now comes the part that i'd like some advice on... a cat-back system. what are the best systems performance wise that are available? and i know this is gonna be more or less opinion based but thats what i'm lookin for =P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to consider a K& N drop filter. Because it keeps a cold air intake. You are correct that the cone in the engine tends to flow warm air. The cooler the air the more horespower.

You should consider the cat back modification before the headers. If you use the search function on this site you should find a lot of info on headers for Explorers. The general consences is that unless you add a supercharger or modify the heads, it is not a good horsepower modifiction for the money. Now if you plan to increase air flow on the intake side (more than a filter and intake) then headers may be a good investment of your time and money. Just my opinion.

unclemeat gave you some good advice. Now a cat-back system with some flowmasters (or whatever you choose) and say a intake system is a good way to free up some horsepower. Do some research on the boards and see what you can come up with. Good luck.

-Drew

hmm, thanks for that advice. i would love to get some flowmasters but they dont have a exhaust system premade for the explorer.. or none that i've found. I'd rather get an premade exhaust system cause it will be less hastle. i'm thinking about getting the JBA cat-back system or the Gibson cat back system. which is the better of the 2 or are they pretty similar?

I dont think you will find a premade catback exhaust system. A good exhaust shop will bend and fabricate a system for about $100 to $150 labor. Most of the kits that you can buy come with madrel bent pipe sections with different radius and length bends. You still have to splice them together and it is best to weld the pieces together.

What ever you decide do not go out and buy the pre-ribbed pieces that you bend yourself at the parts store. Smooth bends are a must for a performance exhaust system.

Back