• Register Today It's free!

Loose Stearing?

sledgehammer1990

Reaction score
City, State
Doylestown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on the passenger side and replaced both outer U joints and spindle bearings on the front axle. My steering wheel is turned to the right a bit when driving straight. It doesn't pull, but last time I had an alignment done, They asked me if they could install something, I forget what, but it was to fix either the camber or the toe on the passenger side. This was all before the parts that were replaced.

Do all explorers have a lot play in the steering wheel? My trucks seems to weave slightly when at 65 and above on the highway.

Should I get a front end alignment and will this fix the steering box at all?

Your wheel can be ****ed and it can still be aligned. You adjust that in or out by moving the toe on both wheels. What tires are you using? Larger tires weave more. Also do any of your tie rod ends wiggle. They should be tight. When you jack up your tires can you wiggle them much? Should be minimal play. Spindle and front u-joints don't affect front weaving or anything in 2wd. One thing you can check is when you turn the steering wheel how much play is there before the wheels start to turn? Shouldn't be a whole lot. You can turn in the adjuster screw on top of the steering gear(after loosening the lock nut on it) to tighten that up. If the steering starts to feel heavy you went to far. Do it in small increments to just where some slack comes out. This is a $170 part you're playing with. Does it feel "scary" or just weave at freeway speeds? Scary could be bad shocks. I use that term because honestly that's how it feels when your shocks suck and you're doing 65 down the hwy.

Sounds to me like a alignment wouldn't hurt after checking these other things. Firestone has a lifetime alignment. Very good idea if you're keeping your vehicle.

Back