Loose Steering

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
How do I fix the play in my steering wheel? I've got about 1/10th of play in it. Waaayyy too much.

Thanks,

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by play? like you can move the steering wheel a bit before it moves the wheels?

if so

i know nothing about that but can think of one thing

Steering fluid level, or something like that, make sure thats full or something like that.

Hydrolics (however its spelt) on tractors steering usually leaves alot of play when the fluid is low, or if theres not enough pressure.

Brings me back to old memories that were a bit worse, like driving my lawn tractor and the rod that goes for the steering from the one wheel to the other fell off, how fun.

Anyways, good luck to you :cool:

If it is play between when you turn the steering wheel, and when the tire actually turns then yes there is an adjustment, the play may not be in your box. So first investigate, making sure you have no broken or wore front end parts, if everything checks out okay, then there is an adjustment on top of the box. First jack up the front, so the wieght is off the tires, then back off the nut that locks down the screw, this located on top of the box, can be seen by looking straight down by the power steering pump, once you have loosened the nut you can tighten down on the screw, do this slowly, not to over tighten, if you tighten too much, then you can damage the worm gear inside. Once you are down tightening, then lock it back down. Keep in mind that play in the gear box is a sign of wear, and the box may need to be replaced.

How old are your wheel bearings? That's where I would start. I replaced mine this fall and it made a HUGE difference!

Ok, I tigtened the adjsuter on top of the steering box all the way down. Nothing. Loosened it back up. Checked everything underneath. Nothing.

It turns out the play is in the input shaft. Where the steering wheel goes through the firewall and connects to the input shaft. Thats where my play is. Weird. So now the X is going to have to sit there until I can get the parts. I seperated the input shaft from the steering wheel rod (with the U-joint) and there appears to be a plastic shim that was beat to hell. Now I'm probably gonna have to go to the stupid dealer. $$$$

Thanks for the help though.

Brian

Originally posted by Brandons
What do you mean by play? like you can move the steering wheel a bit before it moves the wheels?

if so

i know nothing about that but can think of one thing

Steering fluid level, or something like that, make sure thats full or something like that.

Hydrolics (however its spelt) on tractors steering usually leaves alot of play when the fluid is low, or if theres not enough pressure.

Brings me back to old memories that were a bit worse, like driving my lawn tractor and the rod that goes for the steering from the one wheel to the other fell off, how fun.

Anyways, good luck to you :cool:
Recirpocating Ball steering like it sounds like you had on the tractor, is a heck of a lot different than the rack and pinion setup the X's have. At least, I think the 1st Gens. also had the R/P setup...

No rack and pinion on 1st gen.

Brian

Back