• Register Today It's free!

lopeing under load

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
When i pull a hill it is most noticeable. throttle constant but engine acts like i am feathering the throttle a little. Maf clean. suggestions? I have no fuel pressure gauge. CEL not working but i have a DMM- just forgot how to check codes with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GAH! the engine. Sry... not by much, but noticable.

Are you talking about surging power?

Yes, surging and dipping at regular intervals.

I've never had power surges while going UP hill. Do you have an automatic transmission by chance?

Yes, automatic. It definitely feels like an engine control issue.

How many miles? When was your last time flushing and filtering the entire transmission? Do you baby it like it should? I have found out my explorer takes a lot of brain racking to figure out what's going on but always worth it. I have a 5 speed with 175.5k with nearly bone stock 4.0 OHV and have never had it try and get more power going uphill unless downshifted or added throttle. I think if it was bucking going up hill it would be air, fuel or fire issue. But if the tach just starts going up with out giving more throttle and at least feeling a little more power could be the tranny..it would help if I come take a drive

240k miles. Saved this thing from the crusher, put a lot of parts on it to fix it up. Trans is clean due to having had a bad vacuum modulator when i bought it so a bunch of ATF was run thru it. I dont think it's a trans issue, i think i need to take a look at the TPS and some emissions stuff. If only i remembered how to check the codes with a DMM on this thing.

Back