Losing coolant without signs of a leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Losing coolant without signs of a leak

Honestly that price is pretty reasonable in todays repair market.

It would be significantly beneficial to also replace the timing components while they have the engine torn apart.
The local dealer here quoted me a cheaper price but I wasn't gonna be able to get in until NEXT YEAR! So I'm stuck paying a more expensive bill. All mechanics wanted $2,200

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been having issues with coolant recently, my car is slowly running out on coolant in the reservoir. There are no signs of a leak, checked possible areas, no burning smell of coolant, no sign of a blown head gasket on the oil cap, reservoir has no leaks. I put some cardboard underneath the vehicle and I couldn't catch anything. What could be the issue here?
A slow coolant leak will not give any signs. I suspect a leaking head gasket. My 1st option would be to use liquid head gasket sealer or block sealer.
Follow all the instructions. The next option is to take it to a shop for a leakdown test using pressure on the radiator. But first, take a look at your spark plugs. A chalky white plug is a sign of coolant leakage.

A slow coolant leak will not give any signs. I suspect a leaking head gasket. My 1st option would be to use liquid head gasket sealer or block sealer.
Follow all the instructions. The next option is to take it to a shop for a leakdown test using pressure on the radiator. But first, take a look at your spark plugs. A chalky white plug is a sign of coolant leakage.

You definitely missed the other posts in this thread. The Cyclone (3.5) will most definitely give a tell tale sign that being coolant dripping from the weep hole which indicates internal water pump failure - the most common failure on these engines. I don't think I've ever seen a 3.5 with blown head gaskets. In fact the only modern Ford with head gasket issues was on the Focus RS engine from a few years back.

I also can't stress enough not to pour any kind of stop leak chemicals into the coolant system on a newer car. You will absolutely do more damage in the end.

You definitely missed the other posts in this thread. The Cyclone (3.5) will most definitely give a tell tale sign that being coolant dripping from the weep hole which indicates internal water pump failure - the most common failure on these engines. I don't think I've ever seen a 3.5 with blown head gaskets. In fact the only modern Ford with head gasket issues was on the Focus RS engine from a few years back.

I also can't stress enough not to pour any kind of stop leak chemicals into the coolant system on a newer car. You will absolutely do more damage in the end.
I have the 3.7L engine. In fact, yes it was the water pump that went on the engine. I'm assuming the gasket around it was leaking. It's currently in the shop being replaced. I was honestly expecting a water pump failure given the miles on the car (130,000).

The 3.7 is just a bored out 3.5 that is reserved for police units and makes about 15hp more. Other than that pretty much same exact engine. Glad you got it figured out. My water pump started leaking at 130k too

The 3.7 in the Interceptors was used in other vehicles, like the Mustang...

The 3.7 in the Mustang and F150 is a different animal.

They do not interchange.

Back