Reaction score
City, State
Frankfurt, Germany, Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Callsign
DG6FCR
Hi,

Monday morning I found a spot of oil on the bottom of my parking lot.
At more or less the same time I started smelling some oil while driving. Especially after driving with higher speeds.

After this I had a look under my 2011 Ex and found a large area (gearbox, powersteering and exhaust) full with oil.

pict0007.jpg

It looks terrible. Has anyone seen this before or has an idea what happened?
It has just 15000 miles.
The car will go to the dealer on monday but If this is maybe a known problem or anyone else had the same, I would be thankful to know which parts are to be replaced. Because I´m in Germany, the dealer has no experience with Explorers at all.

Klaus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you recently have an oil change done? Perhaps a loose filter or drain plug?

Did you recently have an oil change done? Perhaps a loose filter or drain plug?

Tha last change was 3000 miles ago.
I checked the filter, it´s sealed and tight.

The tech that did your oil change may have stripped the drain plug threads. If the leak is in that area. Other wise it maybe a seal leaking.

Some times a tech will over tighten the drain plug. They will 'fix' it by applying a sealant to the threads. Sealant goes bad and leak happens.

How is your oil level? Is it actually oil?

Top left corner of pic from that view looks like crack in pan - silver fresh metal look. But could just be flash reflection.

What type of oil or fluid is that ? Is yours FWD or 4WD ? If it's a 4WD your PTU is leaking at the seal.

Here is a new picture:

pict0018.jpg

I think you´re right. It looks a bit like a crack. I´m gonna check the Automatic Transmission Fluid dipstick today. Yes, it´s a 4WD. I´m afraid, it´s the Gearbox because no engine oil is missing.

Fortunately the car is still in warranty but I´m afraid it takes a while to get the parts.

pict0016.jpg

It goes down to the muffler. It´s spilled with oil too...

This vehicle has only 15000 miles. Never had such an issue with mor or less new car.

I´m going crazy...

It´s definetly Transmission -Oil. I checked the dipstick and it´s below minimum.
Need to refill tomorrow. Appointment with the dealer is on monday.

And the worst thing: I wanted to check the engine oil. Pulled the dipstick and it broke apart. What´s that? Now I hold the yellow knob in my hand and the rest of the stick is still in the engine. The broken part looks rotten.
I´m really pissed now. What´s going on with this car?

...Monday morning I found a spot of oil on the bottom of my parking lot...Because I´m in Germany, the dealer has no experience with Explorers at all...
Klaus,

I suggest calling Ford of Germany @ +49 (0) 221 903 3333 for additional help with getting this resolved. Please keep us in the loop on the progress.

Cory

Klaus,

I suggest calling Ford of Germany @ +49 (0) 221 903 3333 for additional help with getting this resolved. Please keep us in the loop on the progress.

Cory

Hi Cory,

thanks a lot for your support. Yesterday I was at a Ford dealer in Mainz (near Frankfurt). They are specialized in repairing US vehicles because they service the cars of the US armed forces in Germany. They told me that there is a TSB pending for my vehicle regarding the rotary shaft seal between drive shaft and gearbox. This seems to be where the oil comes from. They now ordered the parts for this TSB. This should resolve this issue. They also told me that it would be necessary to remove the valve cap to get to the broken dip stick.

Klaus

My explorer with a week-old suffered the same symptom, and was the seal or retainer gear box and the axis of rotation, they changed it in 2 hours and problem solved

I have the same problem, ford dealer says it is a leaking ptu seal. No tsb, no ssm, no stock in Canada. They say 3 weeks out of the U.S. They Say the car is ok to drive untill they can get the new seal. Only 19358 Km?

I had this issue fixed two weeks ago.
Dealer replaced the rotary shaft seal. Should be tight now. The Car still smells a bit, but this is maybe the rest of the oil. I´ll have car cleaned the next days and will continue having a eye on it.
Oil dipstick was replaced too.
They said, there is a TSB for this, and they fixed it with applying a special "repair kit" from Ford.

Klaus, your english is very good. Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there anyway you could get the TSB number from your mechanic? I am having this same issue in the US and I can not find the TSB.

Thanks.

-Kevin.

Klaus, your english is very good. Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there anyway you could get the TSB number from your mechanic? I am having this same issue in the US and I can not find the TSB.

Thanks.

-Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

thanks a lot :) working on it ...
I´ll call the dealer on monday to ask him about the TSB number. But you could maybe ask Cory about the TSB number.
But I hope I´ll get it for you.

Klaus

Pm me your vin and I will get it for you... I am heading to new Orleans but my assistant could run it and fax it to you....

I had this issue fixed two weeks ago...
Thanks for updating us, Klaus.

My explorer with a week-old suffered the same symptom, and was the seal or retainer gear box and the axis of rotation, they changed it in 2 hours and problem solved
I’m glad this was taken care of for you, Tavin. :)

I have the same problem, ford dealer says it is a leaking ptu seal. No tsb, no ssm, no stock in Canada. They say 3 weeks out of the U.S...
flobes,

It’s good your dealer is on top of this; have you tried calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre @ 1-800-565-3673 for the delay?

...I am having this same issue in the US and I can not find the TSB...
Kevin,

I want to help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager from your region; please send me a PM with your contact information, mileage, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Pm me your vin and I will get it for you... I am heading to new Orleans but my assistant could run it and fax it to you....
Have a fun time in New Orleans, RonJrSVCMGR! :D

Cory

Back