• Register Today It's free!

losing oil

blackout93

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver,washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993,ford,explorer
i have a 1993 ford explorer with a 4L ohv v6 with around 200k miles. i did an oil change about 1000 miles ago and i had to put a quart of oil in already. i don't think that is normal. it is not leaking from the pan or drain plug and its not burning oil to where the smoke is noticeable i don't know if its a bad head gasket or cracked/warped head but it runs fine so i am lost to where the oil went or is going. any help would be much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked your valve cover gaskets? have you checked the drainage hole and its nut to see if its leaking? i would probably start with those two things. if its your valve cover gaskets, you will see it around the edges and perhaps in the rim of the valve cover. sometimes it drips on to the exhaust manifold and smoke and smells very faint.

but these are just places to START to look.. good luck

have you checked your valve cover gaskets? have you checked the drainage hole and its nut to see if its leaking? i would probably start with those two things. if its your valve cover gaskets, you will see it around the edges and perhaps in the rim of the valve cover. sometimes it drips on to the exhaust manifold and smoke and smells very faint.

but these are just places to START to look.. good luck
yeah there is a leak on the valve cover gasket but i didnt think it was enough to lose a quart of oil:scratch:

I loose that between changes. But my rear main & oil pan leak.

I loose that between changes. But my rear main & oil pan leak.
yeah there is no oil on the ground where i park so i don't know where the oil is going

yeah there is no oil on the ground where i park so i don't know where the oil is going

if its coming from the valve gasket then it is probably is leaking on the exhaust manifold and drying up. but you will smell it a bit.

if its coming from the valve gasket then it is probably is leaking on the exhaust manifold and drying up. but you will smell it a bit.
yeah that could very well be it. thanks for the info!:thumbsup: ill change them and hopefully my problem will be fixed

i changed the valve cover gasket and man was that a pain lol

If you are still using oil,put a large piece of cardboard under it to see if it's leaking. Tends to show up better,really with that kind of mileage a quart in 1000 isn't terrible.You could also pull your plugs to see if you have oil bloom on them,looks like gray fluff.:D

yeah i think im good so far haha really i read somewhere that it was not normal. yeah my plugs looked fine :D

how extensive was that valve cover gasket replacement? i have a leak there and i believe from my rear main. trying to figure out which one to take on first. they are both gonna suck.

how extensive was that valve cover gasket replacement? i have a leak there and i believe from my rear main. trying to figure out which one to take on first. they are both gonna suck.

Do the valve cove first! rear seal is a real PIA.

Trans has to come out for the rear main & if that comes out & your 4x4 the transfer case & related stuff needs to come out. And if all that needs to come out you may as well rebuild everything while its out. Yeah much $. That's what I leave it alone & just add oil when I need to.

You might want to try a compression and leak down test to see if you have oil control issues from worn rings.

it wasn't bad the hardest part for me was getting the bottom bolt that holds coil pack bracket on, it was rusty and on very tight but once i got that it was a breeze. good luck on fixing the leak start with the valve covers first for sure tho lol

Back