Loud humming noise coming from the air filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud humming noise coming from the air filter

S

scubaman

I have a 95 Explorer and I'm getting a loud humming noise coming (it seems) from air filter compartment. I took it in for repair but they could not figure out what was causing the sound. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealer!! ($$$). It does do it all the time and it doesn't affect my engine, steering or braking. Please help me solve this problem because it's getting on my nerves.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know if this helps but a friend of mine has a F-150 that was doing this because he drilled holes in the airbox and weakened the plastic just enough to make it resonate as the air goes throught it. It actually sounds like a cow mooing at certain RPMs.

I have the same problem with my 97. Did you ever find the problem? my e - mail is Csuerig@aol.com. Thank you.

mine does the same thing and i have the gen 1 K&N. they say it normal.....its just sucking a lot of air

Very loud humming noise at idle (or low load) = IAC, Idle Air Control valve. A zillion posts on here about it, good luck!

It is also cheap and simple to fix.

I had the same problem with my Explorer. It was indeed the IAC, i took it off and cleaned it out and instantly no more humming!

humming noise!

The humming noise on my 95 explorer started after I instaled a K&N filter. It only does it at idle, not when i hit the gas. And it starts right about when it hits around 90 degrees outside. I will look at the control valve.

I just got my car back had the serp belts replaced some other things + a long overdue air filter/ oil change and my cars been humming in the low rpms at stop lights but never while on the highway/ constant moving ... I figure its just sucking alot of air in...

Ive had that same humming from my air filter box for about 5 years ....Its annoying!! ...its time to fix it

Back