Loud knocking from front end | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud knocking from front end

Ford service tech said front end clunking is normal sounding!?

So I bought my 2013 explorer limited from a ford dealer ship in January. 75,000mi. It came with a 12,000mi or 12mo ford certified preowned warrantee. In Febuary I started having suspicion that the front end would clunk sometimes when I went over bumps on the road. Usually only when they were washboard type bumps, or small chatter bumps in the road. I wasn't 100% certain so I brushed it off since it didn't do it all the time. Then in June I started to notice that it was getting more and more frequent. So I brought it into my local ford dealership for an oil change at 80,000mi and a suspension inspection and test drive. When he was done, the shop manager told me that on explorer models the front suspension is normal for some noise, and that everything checked out ok.
This does not sound or feel normal to me, or is it? Is there any truth to his answer, or am I just being hyper sensitive to the sound and feel of the suspension? I know my 2000 tundra does not make any clunking or chattering noise over the same roads, and that has 195,000mi on it.

Any suggestions please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had similar noise on my preowned ‘17 with about 40k on it. They replaced the front sway bar links and it is fixed! I would say it is not normal noise!

usually 3 items in this order or do them all at once which makes more sense. Sway bar end links, lower arm rear bushings, upper strut mount and or struts. Should not have any noise over bumps.

The lower control arm/bushing in many cases may not have any signs or tearing at all but still make noise. The inner collar is smacking against the housing because the rubber has weakened which causes a clunk

I'm going to bump this since I think it's one that pertains to my issue and based on the picture from CommandPresence in post 15.
My 2014 Sport has just over 72k miles and I think the control arm bushing(s) is(are) going bad.
I get a thud at slow speeds, but nothing at highway speeds.
I can feel it at my feet as well as hear it.

I took some pictures of my bushings to see if they looked bad/torn. They didn't appear damaged, however, I did see what I believe is a result of the bushing being worn(soft/flexible). There appears to be contact marks from where the center rubber "hub" contacts the outer perimeter rubber(inner diameter).
The contact marks are on the vehicle left and right sides of the inner surface of the bushing.
This is as if the front control arms are being pushed and pulled forward and backward.
If that's the case, that means the rear of the control arm is moving in and out about 1/4-1/2".

I'll try to get pictures uploaded later(at work right now).

I this link works, you can see the bump on the right side of the center section and the left side does not have that bump.
That surface(the bump and the opposite side) appears to be contact the inner surface of the rubber.

Mevotech MS40471: Control Arm Bushing 2011-2013 Ford Explorer | JEGS

JACKPOT:
From a Flex, but check it out. You can see how much the bushing moves. There is no description if this person is having a clunking issue, but you can also see where the wear marks I mention above come from.

Back