Loud squeal during aceleration?

DonM

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ocean View, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Sounds like a bad belt, but cant find any problem! I only seem to here the noise only when i acelerate, or at high speeds(50-60MPH)! It's louder when i give it gas and seems to all most go away when i let off the gas some. Tensioner was replaced some time ago and ive had the shop look over every thing. Cant find the problem?

Anyone have a clue as to where i should start.

Thanks

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

?? May be a bad pully on the water pump. Which is BAD as you can Over Heat easy and ruin the motor.

Temp guage reads normal! This has been going on for many months. No signs of over heating and every things seems fine, just the damn squealing. :MAD:

Don

The tensioner may have bit the dust. I'd take a real close look at it.

Originally posted by AgExplorer
The tensioner may have bit the dust.

I replaced that a few months ago, cant be that already?!

Don

Does the belt look frade or worn anywhere? Does it do it if you are in the driveway revving it up, or just driving? Any check engine lights?

If the belt is worn any, then I would pull the fan and clutch and make sure all the idler pulleys are lined up and straight. If you do not hear the noise in the driveway sitting still, the noise could be some wind noise - get worse as you speed up and wind blows through faster. Another thought might be a vacumm line - as your rpms go up, a vacumm line leaking could create the noise also...

Just thoughts as I sit here at work... Maybe they will help...

chirping/squealing at idle.

I'm having a squealing/squeeking noise too, but the noise stops when I hit the gas. The noise is most noticable at idle (it either chips, or squeals... doesn't seem related to the AC being on or off, hot/cool/humid/dry weather.

Belt was replaced about 10K miles ago and still looks good.

Any ideas?

-RB

Belts all look good and the noise only happens when driving. I noticed that the noise comes and goes, doesnt do it all the time. Maybe more so, when damp out side.

Two mech cant find the problem, but both do realize there is a problem.

Don

Back