Loud "thump" when backing out to the right? Am I going to Xplode? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud "thump" when backing out to the right? Am I going to Xplode?

ACBlessing

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA (eastern Washington state)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out what's going underneath the passenger side front. Every time I back out of a spot now, there is a loud thump I can feel.

It did this a couple times when I first got my X and went away. I've been TT/War153 lifted for a month now and no thump. All of a sudden this weekend it's thumping every single time. I'm wondering what's up since my X is only TT lifted 1.5", only has 6000 mi on it and this problem developed a month AFTER my lift...not immdiately after. The only offroad it's been on so far is off the road into my driveway. Man...is the wheel gonna fall off on the highway?

Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you much,

AC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to me like it could be a U-Joint... I could be wrong though...

Thanks Matt...but I'm thinking front suspension since I hear and feel it from the passenger side tire area. I'm also wondering if this is an example of axle bind?

AC

well the only thing suspension wise that I could think of that would "thump" only when going in reverse, and only going to the right, is the radius arm bushing...

matt, i thought he doesnt have a ra bushing

Well let me clarify when I mean going to the right:

I mean I'm sitting behind the steering wheel, turning it to the right while backing up so the rear of my X is backing to the right.

Maybe its all that sprayfoam you put in there?

That's it...I knew it was too good to be true

That could be cv joint bind. Did your vehicle come with 16" wheels stock?? If so, your vehicle probably had a slightly higher ride from the factory, and the 1.5" of tt may have gone too far. Try dropping the nose about a half inch for a couple of days and see if it goes away. If it does, you can be pretty sure you were binding the CV joint. If it doesn't, you might have a cv joint going bad or something loose in the front.

Mine made the same noise and it turned out the hardware that holds my rear shock in place to the frame was extremely loose. Maybe check that.

Try greasing the steering bump stops. I had this done when I had the sway links replaced and the thunk went away.

Problem solved!

Well thank you for all the valuable insights guys but I'll be the first to admit when I'm a goof........turns out it was my tire hitting the very tip of the plastic guard for the side skirt. When I backed up, the tire tread would grab the very tip of the plastic and pull is down and when I straightened out the wheel, the tire let go and the plastic snapped back into place which sounded like a lound suspension-related thump.

-AC

Back