Loud Whistling Sound under my hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Whistling Sound under my hood

Greddy X-Plorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Infiniti QX4
Hey guys, well I am experiencing a whistle sound under my hood which is very annoying. I notice it everytime when I come to a complete stop especially when I'm in a drive thru of a Mickie D's or BK. When I hit the accelarator, the whistling tends to go to a higher pitch but when I stop it, it goes back to that whistling sound. I opened the hood to check out where that sound came from and I noticed it coming from where the serpentine belt area is but then again I hear close to the top of the engine. What could this whistling sound be? HELP, it's getting FREAKIN ANNOYING!! :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might need a new belt, or just a tightening if the belt doesn't self-tighten on that engine. Belts tend to squeal if they're too loose or if the alternator or another component driven by the belt is failing. Or, my favorite, a vacuum leak.

SOme things I've seen that could cause this are:
Seizing alternator... mine did this and was actually the belt slipping on the Alt pulley.

Hole in your intake ducting, could be leting air out causing a whistle. Check inside the folds and they can hide there quite well

Good luck

What's an IAC? and where is it located at?

OK, where is it located at?

98 V6 4.0L, I think that's what it is

I don't know that, where would those letters show up on the engine?

No offence, but with your lack of knowledge of the motor in your car, it would be best for you to take it somewhere to be repaired.

Well sorry son, I guess that just makes me dumb then. Man, I could go and check it's not hard but not nice son.

Having a lack of knowledge does not make one dumb by any means. And nobody called you dumb.

Its simply very dififficult to try to help you when you do not understand what one is talking about.

Good luck getting your truck fixed.

Not meant as a flame but...nice has nothing to do with it. What IS against netiquette is to post a question on any board with out doing any research. The IAC valve is covered ad nauseum.
I have the same noise and my post count is what? <25? No one called you dumb but you do need to have some knowledge for folks to help.

:banghead:

My apologies, I will go check right now what it is, I'm sorry aldive, I do need help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back