• Register Today It's free!

Loud window squeal

rodb

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Fixed window regulator motors with new bushings, but now sometimes when window is going down I get a loud squealing noise, I did grease the linkage with lithium spray but still the noise, it never makes any noise when going up though. Its very hard to determine where the problem is. Anyone else had this issue ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to grease the window track itself, usually that's never done and it just wears rather than making noise.

It could also just be the rubber window seal, when the window goes down it acts like a wiper blade. With age that seal gets hard and is no longer soft rubber, so you might want to either get a replacement seal, or see if washing it more often softens up the rubber enough to make the noise go away.

Are you refering to the felt area where the glass rides in? What type of grease do you use there?

There's usually felt there, but it can wear away with age then you're just left with a hard edge, which squeaks like a squeegee. I wouldn't use any grease or lube, that would wind up on the glass and cause visibility issues and a mess. I'd say either replace the seal, or just try to clean up the edge and maybe get some life back into the felt if it's just all packed down and slick.

Maybe you can try to pinpoint the noise and see if it's coming from that seal, or inside the door. That will give you a better idea of what the source is before you start fixing something that isn't broken.

I have a 94 Dodge 1 ton that does the same thing. It never done it until I had the windows tinted and then it only does it when its warm/hot outside. If its cool they don't make a sound!

Steve

The sound is rubber on window, i have the same issue. you can see if its the inside or outside rubber by pressing on the window when rolling it up or down. (Mine are the inside rubber.
Your problem might be the window anti rattle clips on the outside window trim, i think they are supposed to have a rubber cap on them if you see scratches appear (going up and down) then its the clips. i have not found a definitive answer to why it happens yet but i am working on it. it might be the window motor is not seated correctly or torqued too much, which pulls on the windows cross member and making the window press on the inside seal while moving through the tracks. i think.. if you find a cure all let us know.

Yes I have a small scratch on the outside of glass that is going from top to bottom, have not figured out what is causing it.

When you roll your window down, spread open the seal and on the outboard part you will see metal clips that function as anti rattle clips. Those are rubbing onto the window and scratching it.

You can try and lossen the bolts out of your window regulatorand put some locktight on them. When you put them back in, make it snug and give it a quarter inch more. See if that helps.

Don't try and bend the clips back because your window will rattle real bad.

You can also try and taking a razor to the inside of the window seals to scrape off the rough /dry rubber.

If the weatherstrip is making the window squeek, try spraying it with a little bit of silicone spray. This will help to stop is from screeching if that's what's causing it.

Ok did as suggested and used silicone to lube the rubber where the glass rides in between, that fixed the squeal noise, also see the clips and that is what is causing the scratch on glass, but did the clips originally have rubber or something over the metal clip? If so what is best way to fix?

i honestly dont know if they came with rubber caps on them or not, but just dont try and bend them back because if you do, you window will start rattling like crazy when its rolled down.
you can find window anti rattle clips on autozone's website, but you wont find them in the store. you can try ordering them. or if you get the outboard seal with the anti rattle clips out you can wrap tape around them or get some some heat shrink and create a cover that way.

I have the same issue and I have resolved it in the past using wd40 of all things.

My thing is, after 22 years the window suddenly starts squeeling and for me it was after i rebuilt the windows motor. I am sure spraying some lube in a can will fix things temporarily but i want to be able to identify the cause and fix it.
In one of my navajo's the bolt holding the bottom of the window track ( the rear one) had actually broken through the sheet metal and fell to the bottom of the door. I mentioned that maybe torquing the window motor too much messes everything up in there.
Its just really annoying when it screeches and i don't know exactly how to fix it for good. I don't think spraying lube on it is a good idea for the long run because the lube will hold dirt and will end up compromising the glass. That's just my opinion though.

Back